cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15, recent install running out of hard drive space on server

KevinBCI
Level 3

I just deployed a new server with BE 15 on it, running MS Server 2008. I'm backing up to a tape library, not to disk.  I've only been using it for about 6 weeks, and I've got less than 1GB on the server hard drive.  I expect all the space is being taken up by logs and such, how do I free up some space and change the settings so it doesn't crash the server?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Use the procedure in this document to disable logging

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204379

If the logging is not requested by Symantec Tech Support to resolve a problem, you can delete the logs.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Be aware that depending on your data quatitiy (number of ibdividual files, e-mails etc) and how long you retain backup sets for, the catalogs for the data default to same location as teh install and can legitimately get quite large. You can relocate the catalogs folder onto another volume if this is what is using your disk space

Note you cannot just delete the catalogs as they are what provides you with restore abilities. Backup Exec will delete them for you as the backups sets are reclaimed or as tapes are overwritten.

KevinBCI
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked and logging isn't enabled, so I guess that's not taking up the space.

It's weird, I've gone through and checked the size of all of the high level directories and none of them are indicating they're the culprit.  I have a 136GB mirrored drive, and the largest directory is the Windows directory and it's only 18GB. The next highest is only 2GB.  

KevinBCI
Level 3

Not sure what happened to my other post, so I'll try again.

Thanks Colin, I suspected based on the reading I did prior to posting this may be the case, but I was having trouble identifying how to address it.  I did find a post that suggested enabling BE to be able to delete expired backup sets, so I enabled that but haven't been able to restart the service as I still have a backup job running.

One other thing I found, was the folder that's taking up all my space.  I had assumed it would be the catalog directory, but it was C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEDBG

Partciularly of note are all the huge .dmp files.  Can those safely be deleted, or are they needed for recovery?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The .dmp files indicate that BE has abend-ed each time a file is produced.  You should look at the eventlog to see what are the error messages pertaining to the abends.

Go to Add/Remove Programs and do a repair of BE to see if that helps.

If you are still getting abends, then I would suggest that you log a support case so that the support engineer can take a look at the .dmp files.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can safely delete the .dmp files. BEDBG is configured to hold 10 dump files. You can delete atleast 9 and keep the latest one for analysis.