cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 13 Slow restores 8MB/min

DataPimp
Level 2

Hi guys,

We've recently purchased the BE software combined with an HP StorageWorks D2D 2504i

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...

I'm backing up to the storage device via a CIFS share. The backup speed is around 420 MB/min and the restore speed is 8MB/min. Unacceptable ofcourse. Here is some more info.

Media server is Dell PE850 (old print server)

W2k3 R2 Standard 4GB Pentium 4 2.80

The D2D storage system uses HP StoreOnce data deduplication. Deduplication Ratio is 5.5:1

The media server and d2d storage system are located in the same lan. (100 Mbps, gigabit ethernet will be implemented very soon)

Sidenotes: there is a possibilty to create virtual tapes via iscsi but I decided not to use it since we don't have Gb ethernet. I don't use compression since this has a negative effect on the deduplication ratio.

Now I know the infrastructure does not look very performant. I want to know how to effectively find the biggest bottleneck in the restore process. Can someone point me in the right direction?

9 REPLIES 9

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are your running the latested firmware on the HP D2D unit (from february 2011)?

I remember that it contains some updates about deduplication and speed improvements.

And I wonder why you are not using  a virtual tape library via iSCSI. Gigabit is recommended, but not required. I can remember an article that VLT is much faster than CIFS shares.

DataPimp
Level 2

I tried backing up to VLT just now but realized we don't have a license for it. Let me upgrade the firmware and revert.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a similar setup running, but we do not have the VLT license. Why should you need that?

Backup exec just sees the library as HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 or HP StorageWorks MSL2024 library.
As long as you configure one virtual drive, you do not need extra licenses for Backup Exec.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

See this technote for more info about the VTL single drive statement: 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22779

DataPimp
Level 2

Right,

I tested with a virtual tape and the backup/restore speed was even slower than backing up/restoring from/to the CIFS share.

Backup: 366 MB/min

Restore: 5MB/min

I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the deduplication. I'm going to contact Hp support for this and revert.
Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Take the HP device out of the equation.  Create a backup some data onto the server's internal disk and the do a restore and see the result.

Also, what did you create on the device for your backup?  It is a B2D folder or a dedup folder?  The device cannot be used for a dedup folder.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The HP D2D, has to re-assemble the data that has been deduplicated, thus restore speeds are VERY different from ingest speeds.  As pkh mentioned, get the HP device out of the equation, and try a backup to standard backup to disk folders and re-test.  You'll find that, that usually performs better on the restore.  

This is an Achilles heal for any dedupe appliance vendor, some are much better than others, and HP is one of the ones that is more bargain with limitations.  They would rather you buy their larger Sepaton based boxes.  Even DataDomain, the best one out there, only claims about 90% the speed compared to their ingest.  

teiva-boy
Level 6

To add a follow-up on dedupe technologies, there is generally two schools of thought.  Inline dedupe and post process dedupe.  Each has advantages and disadvantages, though each vendor that implements has a way to spin that, or technology to minimize their limitations..

Post process vendors (Exagrid as an example) require MORE disk to stage your backup set, then will later dedupe it to another volume internal to that appliance.  Ingests are usually higher this way, and sized properly you can restore out of the staging area so restores could be faster.  The downside is that you'll use more rack space, more power, and more cooling.

Inline dedupe (DataDomain and now Quantum) can dedupe data in real-time as it's fed to the appliance.  The CPU is usually a quadcore or better, with lots of RAM.  Since the ingest is not as fast as a "post-process," vendor that is just backing up to disk first; DataDomain has come up with BOOST which helps offload some of the dedupe to the backup server.  This slightly offsets the performance hit and brings the ingest speeds on par with post-process vendors.

YMMV, each have pros and cons, levels of complexity, costs, etc.  Others may integrate with your bakup app via OST in BackupExec, or even offer better dedupe rates based on their maturity in the market.  So test each vendor, don't ever settle on price alone.  

Knutho
Not applicable

DataPimp,

Did you find the cause of this problem?

We have similar restore-problems with our D2D, and would like to know if this is a limitation in the D2D, or due to misconfiguration.

What did HP support have to say about the case?

FYI:

We have tried to copy a file directly from the CIFS-share (windows explorer), and get ca. 600 MB/min.

When we try to restore the same file with Backup Exec we get 80 MB/min. Restore of the same file from local disks runs at 1500 MB/min.