cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 Remote Agent for Exchange 2007 on WS2003

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

My BE 2010 R2 Exchange aware backup job continues to fail. It fails with the error code "e000037b - Using the job settings, Backup Exec attempted to back up the passive copy of the Exchange database. However, the passive copy was not available after the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot was performed. Try to run the job again."  I am able to successfully backup the Information Store with an NTBackup, which is using VSS.  Also, I am running Exchange 2007 sp3 with LCR, so I have a passive copy and an active copy of the data and log files.

I have tried multiple times to run the BE job and each time it fails.  In doing research, I have found information on a BE Remote Agent for Exchange.  Is this a different agent from the RAWS agent?  I see that I have a license for "Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server", but the license information on the BE server says that it is not installed.  Is the Agent for MSE a prerequisite for running successful Exchange backups and is it the same as the RAWS agent I have installed on the Exchange server.

Also, are there any other prerequisites I need on the BE server in order to successfully backup/restore Exchange Information Stores?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

First of all you are on version of backup exec which is really not up to date so please upgrade to latest version  of backup exec which is 2010R3 from link below

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

You can perform direct upgrade to BE201OR3 from your existing version BE2010 R2 and it will use same license keys so no separate license is required ,only ensure you enter the exhcnage license while upgrading.

Once done please upgrade to Sp2 and all updates for BE201OR3 using live update and then push install remote agent on exchange server once you ensure BE2010R3 is fully patchedup .

Finally once done take backup again and post update here.

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Yes, If you are backing up Exchange you need to add the license to Backup Exec. When the license is added to Backup Exec it is added to RAWS so all you need to do is to make sure that it is pushed out again to the Exchange server. 

To add the license to Backup Exec go to go to tools-install licensing and option key & then enter the licenses & then click on install

Here is a link for the prerequisites for backing up and restoring Exchange 2007 http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24128

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

First of all you are on version of backup exec which is really not up to date so please upgrade to latest version  of backup exec which is 2010R3 from link below

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

You can perform direct upgrade to BE201OR3 from your existing version BE2010 R2 and it will use same license keys so no separate license is required ,only ensure you enter the exhcnage license while upgrading.

Once done please upgrade to Sp2 and all updates for BE201OR3 using live update and then push install remote agent on exchange server once you ensure BE2010R3 is fully patchedup .

Finally once done take backup again and post update here.

Hope that helps

Thanks