cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2, Win2K8R2 and gigantic Shadow Copy Components Backup

MKJ
Level 4

I have a Win2k8R2 server with BE 13 Rev 4162 installed, both fully patched.  This server is file and print services only, and a member server.  I have shadow copies turned on and have it limited to 250GB, which it is only using ~123GB currently. 

The Shadow Copy Component backup is almost 1TB.  I've gone through and I cannot find anything that large that would be in the backup.  Any ideas?  I've searched and searched for an answer and have come up short, so any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelly

Set Detail Information - Backup \\ServerName\Shadow?Copy?Components
Set type               : Backup
Set status             : Completed
Set description        : Everything Except User Folder
Resource name          : \\ServerName\Shadow?Copy?Components
Logon account          : System Logon Account
Encryption used        : None
Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Byte count             : 1,076,825,992,216 bytes
Rate                   : 1,875.00 MB/Min
Files                  : 0
Directories            : 0
Skipped files          : 0
Corrupt files          : 0
Files in use           : 0
Start time             : Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:13:39 PM
End time               : Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:21:04 AM
Media used             : DZ0618L5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MKJ
Level 4

Minutes after posting this I found my answer.  I was going through System State looking for the culprit.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH154078

If you have the Dedupe option installed, it is going to automatically backup all of that data.  I'm not sure if I like that.  I'm running simultaneous backups to the Dedupe folder, which is on another volume on a HP LeftHand P4500 SAN and is 3 way replicated, while this backup is running.

Just wanted to post back with what I have found, just in case someone else experiences this and could not find an answer.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

MKJ
Level 4

Minutes after posting this I found my answer.  I was going through System State looking for the culprit.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH154078

If you have the Dedupe option installed, it is going to automatically backup all of that data.  I'm not sure if I like that.  I'm running simultaneous backups to the Dedupe folder, which is on another volume on a HP LeftHand P4500 SAN and is 3 way replicated, while this backup is running.

Just wanted to post back with what I have found, just in case someone else experiences this and could not find an answer.