cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010, Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, Hyper-V, 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

oskaremil
Level 4
So,

• I have two Hyper-V servers running on Windows 2008 R2.
  • Those servers, and the backup server, are members of the same domain.
  • The credentials used by Backup Exec is member of the domain group Backup Operators.
  • I have a site license for 2 Hyper-V Servers and 5 Remote Agents, Remote Agents are installed on both Hyper-V servers in addition to 2 virtual servers for granular recovery.
  • The backup job in mind here does not use any GRT options, it is only full images of virtual servers.

For a long time now my setup had only 1 Hyper-V server. Backups of virtual machines has been completed succesfully without this kind of error ever. This error introduced itself before this weekend,- I set up a new Hyper-V Server and at the same time created new selection lists for my backup jobs. Backup failed with this error:

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Job Completion Status

Job ended: 6. august 2010 at 20:58:06
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65233
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Errors
BackupV-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\SERVER01.ocspremaster.intern\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\VRTSERVER01". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed. The operation cannot be retried (0x800423f4), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

I did VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS on the Hyper-V server VRTSERVER01 is hosted on, all writers come up with
State: [1] Stable
Last error: No error

I have 6 virtual server, but it's the same server (VRTSERVER01) causing the failure every time. VRTSERVER01 is also one of the new virtual servers I added before the weekend. The difference between VRTSERVER01 and other virtual servers is that while the other servers have 1 vhd drive , VRTSERVER has three, one IDE and to SCSI vhd drives. Could the SCSI drives cause this error ?

From reading the documentation, the troubleshooting expects errors in the vss writers, so no help from there. Also I have rebooted the Hyper-V server, still same error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Squirrels
Level 3

Hello,

Sorry for not getting back to you, I hadn't checked back here in a while.  You need to re-register the VSS DLLs on the Hyper-V Server Host, then restart the host server.

As per the document How to Re-register Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Components on Windows 2008 a batch file needs to be created with the following in it:

Please note the following:
  • You will need to run the batch file as Administrator.
  • This is only for Windows 2008 not Windows 2003.
  • After running the bat file, you will need to reboot the server to bring all of the writers into a stable state.

Copy and paste the following text between the two ====== lines into Notepad, then click Save As, to save it as FIXVSS08.BAT.

====================================================

rem FILENAME: FIXVSS08.BAT
rem 
net stop "System Event Notification Service"
net stop "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
net stop "COM+ Event System"
net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
cd /d %windir%\system32 
net stop vss 
net stop swprv 
regsvr32 /s ATL.DLL
regsvr32 /s comsvcs.DLL
regsvr32 /s credui.DLL
regsvr32 /s CRYPTNET.DLL
regsvr32 /s CRYPTUI.DLL
regsvr32 /s dhcpqec.DLL
regsvr32 /s dssenh.DLL
regsvr32 /s eapqec.DLL
regsvr32 /s esscli.DLL
regsvr32 /s FastProx.DLL
regsvr32 /s FirewallAPI.DLL
regsvr32 /s kmsvc.DLL
regsvr32 /s lsmproxy.DLL
regsvr32 /s MSCTF.DLL
regsvr32 /s msi.DLL
regsvr32 /s msxml3.DLL
regsvr32 /s ncprov.DLL
regsvr32 /s ole32.DLL
regsvr32 /s OLEACC.DLL
regsvr32 /s OLEAUT32.DLL
regsvr32 /s PROPSYS.DLL
regsvr32 /s QAgent.DLL
regsvr32 /s qagentrt.DLL
regsvr32 /s QUtil.DLL
regsvr32 /s raschap.DLL
regsvr32 /s RASQEC.DLL
regsvr32 /s rastls.DLL
regsvr32 /s repdrvfs.DLL
regsvr32 /s RPCRT4.DLL
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.DLL
regsvr32 /s SHELL32.DLL
regsvr32 /s shsvcs.DLL
regsvr32 /s /i swprv.DLL
regsvr32 /s tschannel.DLL
regsvr32 /s USERENV.DLL
regsvr32 /s vss_ps.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemcons.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemcore.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemess.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemsvc.DLL
regsvr32 /s WINHTTP.DLL
regsvr32 /s WINTRUST.DLL
regsvr32 /s wmiprvsd.DLL
regsvr32 /s wmisvc.DLL
regsvr32 /s wmiutils.DLL
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.DLL
sfc /SCANFILE=%windir%\system32\catsrv.DLL
sfc /SCANFILE=%windir%\system32\catsrvut.DLL
sfc /SCANFILE=%windir%\system32\CLBCatQ.DLL
net start "COM+ Event System"

After I ran the above script and restarted my Hyper-V host server, I then opened Backup Exec 2010 and ran a backup job.  It worked wonderfully!  I didn't bother to follow the test in step 2 in the document I linked to above since I didn't have Windows Backup installed, nor did I want it.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The error is not related to the SCSI...
Make sure you have appropiate license for the Hyper V
As the number of license depends upon number of Hyper V servers you have .
The error could just be misleading , but just try rebooting the server and run the backup agian and see if that helps

oskaremil
Level 4

Sorry, not related to licenses. I have two Hyper-V servers and two Hyper-V licenses.

Have rebooted the server several times since then. I have multiple guests on both servers, all success. The only guest failing is this one virtual machine where the only difference from the other servers is that there is an extra SCSI interface with an extra virtual harddrive.

Squirrels
Level 3

I have this exact same error too.  I've yet to find a solution.  I do have a Linux VM on my host Hyper-V server and I am able to back that server up, but I can't backup any Windows OS servers (assuming because it uses a Microsoft VSS Writer).  I checked my Hyper-V host with the VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command and it gave this info:

Writer name: ‘Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer’
Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
        Writer Instance Id: {c8c957f5-801f-417a-ab89-67c61384330c}
        State: [1] Stable
        Last error: Retryable error

I found on these forums that restarting the Hyper-V server could clear this error, so I rebooted and it worked (for a short time).  I tried a backup of a Windows VM, but wasn't successful.  After the backup attempt the above error appeared again.  I need a solution, just like Oskaremil does.

Looking for an answer!  Thanks!

Squirrels
Level 3

Take a look at this link: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/failure-occurred-querying-writer-status-server-2008-r2-x64-hy...

I wrote a detailed explanation of the problem I was having and what I had done.  My solution was to reregister the VSS DLLs as detailed here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

oskaremil
Level 4

Do I re-register the VSS DLLs on the Hyper-V Server or the Virtual Server ? 

Squirrels
Level 3

Hello,

Sorry for not getting back to you, I hadn't checked back here in a while.  You need to re-register the VSS DLLs on the Hyper-V Server Host, then restart the host server.

As per the document How to Re-register Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Components on Windows 2008 a batch file needs to be created with the following in it:

Please note the following:
  • You will need to run the batch file as Administrator.
  • This is only for Windows 2008 not Windows 2003.
  • After running the bat file, you will need to reboot the server to bring all of the writers into a stable state.

Copy and paste the following text between the two ====== lines into Notepad, then click Save As, to save it as FIXVSS08.BAT.

rem FILENAME: FIXVSS08.BAT
rem 
net stop "System Event Notification Service"
net stop "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
net stop "COM+ Event System"
net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"
net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
cd /d %windir%\system32 
net stop vss 
net stop swprv 
regsvr32 /s ATL.DLL
regsvr32 /s comsvcs.DLL
regsvr32 /s credui.DLL
regsvr32 /s CRYPTNET.DLL
regsvr32 /s CRYPTUI.DLL
regsvr32 /s dhcpqec.DLL
regsvr32 /s dssenh.DLL
regsvr32 /s eapqec.DLL
regsvr32 /s esscli.DLL
regsvr32 /s FastProx.DLL
regsvr32 /s FirewallAPI.DLL
regsvr32 /s kmsvc.DLL
regsvr32 /s lsmproxy.DLL
regsvr32 /s MSCTF.DLL
regsvr32 /s msi.DLL
regsvr32 /s msxml3.DLL
regsvr32 /s ncprov.DLL
regsvr32 /s ole32.DLL
regsvr32 /s OLEACC.DLL
regsvr32 /s OLEAUT32.DLL
regsvr32 /s PROPSYS.DLL
regsvr32 /s QAgent.DLL
regsvr32 /s qagentrt.DLL
regsvr32 /s QUtil.DLL
regsvr32 /s raschap.DLL
regsvr32 /s RASQEC.DLL
regsvr32 /s rastls.DLL
regsvr32 /s repdrvfs.DLL
regsvr32 /s RPCRT4.DLL
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.DLL
regsvr32 /s SHELL32.DLL
regsvr32 /s shsvcs.DLL
regsvr32 /s /i swprv.DLL
regsvr32 /s tschannel.DLL
regsvr32 /s USERENV.DLL
regsvr32 /s vss_ps.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemcons.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemcore.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemess.DLL
regsvr32 /s wbemsvc.DLL
regsvr32 /s WINHTTP.DLL
regsvr32 /s WINTRUST.DLL
regsvr32 /s wmiprvsd.DLL
regsvr32 /s wmisvc.DLL
regsvr32 /s wmiutils.DLL
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.DLL
sfc /SCANFILE=%windir%\system32\catsrv.DLL
sfc /SCANFILE=%windir%\system32\catsrvut.DLL
sfc /SCANFILE=%windir%\system32\CLBCatQ.DLL
net start "COM+ Event System"

After I ran the above script and restarted my Hyper-V host server, I then opened Backup Exec 2010 and ran a backup job.  It worked wonderfully!  I didn't bother to follow the test in step 2 in the document I linked to above since I didn't have Windows Backup installed, nor did I want it.

Hope this helps!

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

I have this same issue in a DAG environment with Exchange 2010 SP1

(Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status),

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\MDAG.magahq.local\Microsoft Information Store...

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS...

i have excluded the remaining lines.

If i try the reregister VSS script, will it work for my environment?

I really need your support.

Itsmeaffinity, if you are viewing, this kindly help. Cos i have been backing up successfully until the storage space got filled up and the logs were purged.

oskaremil
Level 4

Hi, Squirrels suggestion did the trick for me. 

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi oskraremil,

What Exchange Environment are u using? is it a DAG?

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Oskaremil,

I guess i did not look at your initial post. i can see now that you had the issue on Hyper-V and not on Exchange.

I was wondering if i cud also run the script on the Exchange server to resolve my issue?

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Squirrels,

Will this reregistration of VSS work for my Exchange DAG environment having the same issue as u did?

Do i run the script on the two Exchange servers? both servers are virtualized on seperate hosts.

An urgent reply would be appreciated. This error just started last week when the Exchange DAG backup was initiated.