cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 to Offsite ReadyNAS - Possible?

MNIT_MAN
Level 2
I am new to BE 2010 and haven't touched BE since 2003-2004 so I thought I'd better ping you gurus first.  I have a client who just purchased BE 2010 SBS for his [HP] Small Business Server 2008 and a ReadyNAS NVX.  He owns a small mfg plant and has the SBS onsite and the ReadyNAS NVX at his home.  He wants me to install and configure BE 2010 to backup their SBS data offsite to his ReadyNAS NVX at home.  Is this possible?  I don't know that he has a "static" IP address but that's easy enough to resolve if he doesn't.  What I need to know is if it's even possible to configure backups to this device off-site.  Thanks so much (in advance) for your input.

John S
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Yup as Saaz suggested you can perform the backup to the NAS via WAN..but the best option would be to run backup to the devcie connected to the local network and then you can duplicatet the backup job to move the backup set to the Nas over the Wan ..that way the SBS serve would not have any performance issue as the backp to the local network would take much less time then the backup over the WAN...
Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You can do the backup over the WAN but that doesn't make sense because the backup over WAN will be very slow and will take days to complete if the backup is big. So I will suggest you to attach the device locally to the network instead of doing the backup over WAN, that will take lot of bandwith and backup will be extremly slow.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Yup as Saaz suggested you can perform the backup to the NAS via WAN..but the best option would be to run backup to the devcie connected to the local network and then you can duplicatet the backup job to move the backup set to the Nas over the Wan ..that way the SBS serve would not have any performance issue as the backp to the local network would take much less time then the backup over the WAN...
Hope this helps !!!

teiva-boy
Level 6
Buy a 2nd ReadyNAS.  Backup to device 1, then schedule a duplicate to device #2 (which happens to be over the WAN).

This is not an ideal config in anyway, as BE wasnt designed for this.  However, at least you have a local backup, since the WAN duplicate more than likely will fail more than you'll like ;p

MNIT_MAN
Level 2
Backup is tiny...only a small amount of data.  It will grow over time.  So I guess as long as it "can" do it...I'll do what he wants but I will continue to let him know that doing this locally and then shootn' stuff off-site is the better route.  Thanks again!

MNIT_MAN
Level 2
Yup, it does...thanks again!

MNIT_MAN
Level 2
Another great idea....thanks again!