cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 won't license on my Windows Small Bus Server 2011 Essentials

AGWIT
Level 2

BE 2010 Small Bus Server Edition won't license on my Windows Small Bus Server 2011 Essentials

I am re-installing my BE on a new/replacement server, moving from a Windows 2008 SBS x 64  to a Windows SBS 2011 Essentials x64.

I initially installed via CD as "Trial Version' as I did not have the license from old server. When I put in the SAME license code, a Symantec Backup Exec 2010 message appears: The license key you entered can only be used on a Small Business Server.

Please help.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What you have is the Original 2010 release (R0/R1) which does not support SBS 2011 (as per the SCL)

R3 = 13.0 Rev 5204

Downloadable from the link below, as an IS. You install it over the top of your existing media server as an upgrade and it will accept your existing license (will automatically use any 2010 license already installed)

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso  

EDIT: After installing make sure you apply latest service pack as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check below...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125965

...you'd need to change this to an SBS license. Contact the licensing department and they will assist you with this.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

Are you using 2010 Original release (sometimes referred to as R1) or 2010 R2 or 2010 R3, as it is liekly if you are not on R3 then we may not recognize SBS 2011 properly.

EDIT: In fact if you check the 2010 SCL (which covers original, R2 and R3) for SBS 2011 a footnote states supported by 2010 R3 only

NOTE: if you are not on R3 then licenses for original or R2 versions should be compatible with R3.

AGWIT
Level 2

Thank you for your reply.

License detail: Symantec Backup Exec 2010 Ver 13.0 Rev 2896 64-bit, software installed from orig CD.

How do I get the R3 , if needed? Does your NOTE mean license should work if I download R3 version?

Colin_Weaver

What you have is the Original 2010 release (R0/R1) which does not support SBS 2011 (as per the SCL)

R3 = 13.0 Rev 5204

Downloadable from the link below, as an IS. You install it over the top of your existing media server as an upgrade and it will accept your existing license (will automatically use any 2010 license already installed)

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso  

EDIT: After installing make sure you apply latest service pack as well.

AGWIT
Level 2

Thank you Colin! Your solution ( download/install R3 ) worked , up and running.

Just need to move over the previous Catalogs and data.

Details: download ISO, extract to install. First attempt failed because R1 "trial" install included SAN option which not licensed, and could not be removed separately. Resolution -uninstall the trial R1 , keep catalogs and data. Reboot , install the R3 full or typical , whichever works for you.

AGWIT
Level 2

Symantec tech Colin Weaver solution worked.

Un-install the "Trial version" which was from the original CD - BE 2010 SBS Edition v13 R1  as this only supports SBS up to / including SBS2008. Download and install the BE 2010 ver13 R3 (Rev 5204) and then move your catalogs to new folder. Good to go.