cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010R3 Devices show up as not online

Shane_Draper
Level 2

Hello,

We recently installed BE 2010 R3 about a month ago.  I set up 3 external hard drives in the device pool as b2d folders.  The plan was to keep 1 hard drive connected at a time, rotate them weekly and keep the drives that were not in use off site.  This worked great until I got back around to using the 1st disk in the series again.  The back up failed because it would not overwrite the data that was there.  I manually deleted the data off the drive, ran a backup test to see if it was working and it succeeded. 

That night the backups failed again.  At this point I did not notice if the device was listed as online or offline.  I messed around with the configuration and eventually deleted the entire backup pool and started recreating.  Now even with everything off the hard drives and the device pool using a completely different name I cannot gett the B2D folder to show up as online for me to write to.

I have read countless hours of threads, tried everything suggested from recreating again, to restarting all services, to rebooting, to pausing and then unpausing, but I cannot get this to work.

I need help.  Any data provided is appreciated.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you configure the B2D folders as removable backup2disk folder ?

BTW, see the note on this page:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37724

Note: At this time Backup Exec does not support swapping out Hard disk drives with either type of B2D folder. Removable hard disk drives can be removed and reattached at a later time but they can not be swapped.

Edit: Also found this for you:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

Shane_Draper
Level 2

I configured via B2D using the rotate external harddisks article that you posted.  I found it when I first set up the configuration and it worked fine thrrough the first 3 disks.  But does not work now.

Shane 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried pausing/unpausing the B2D folders?

Can you backup directly to the B2D folders, i.e. your jobs target the B2D folders and not the device pool?

Maybe you should post some screenshots of your errors.

Shane_Draper
Level 2

Got it figured out I think.  Reconfigured as removeable drives and reformatted external hd to NTFS and seems to working again.   For how long I dont know.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not be using removable-B2D folders for your USB drives.  You should be using normal B2D folders.  Removable B2D folders are meant for things like RDX and Jaz drives.