James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I have the following backups:

• Weekly full backup which runs "Every 1 week on (Friday) at 18:00"
  • Monthly full backup which runs  "Last Friday of every 1 month at 18:00"

These are separate backup jobs.

Is someone able to confirm if the monthly job should supersede the weekly job on the last Friday of the month? (The Backup Calendar currently shows no superseding.)

Thanks,

James

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The monthly job will supercede the weekly job because they start at exactly the same time and the monthly job is less frequent

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi PKH

Thanks for the quick reply. So it doesn't matter that these are separate jobs? They should still supersede? Any ideas as to why the superseing is not working?

Thanks,

James

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Why are they separate jobs? Are they backing up the same resources?

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

They are backing up the same resources...

I didn't set them up, was configured by someone else, so not sure why they are separate.

Should the superseding work with separate jobs?

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I have tested with the different backup schedules under one job and the superseding works, so guess that answers my question.

James

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It won't work if the jobs are separate they have to be stages in the same definition and start at the same time of day for the hidden rules to take effect.

BTW Tree View in the console can help you work out if jobs are truely separate or part of a definition with other stages.

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

So following on from the above, its difficult to encorporate the weekly/monthly backups in to one job as I duplicate data to tape... So if I have a single job with a weekly backup and a monthly backup, I can only choose EITHER the Weekly Job or the Monthly Job as the source for my duplicate to tape job?

Any ideas anyone?

James

VJware
Level 6

If you add just one Duplicate stage, then yes, it would allow you to choose any one source. However, if you plan on duplicating both the weekly and monthly backups to tape, setup two duplicate stages.

Colin_Weaver

If you set the Weekly Duplicate to only run when the weekly finishes (so not have a timed schedule) and set the monthly duplicate up in the same way, then when the Monthly to Disk Superceeds the weekly original backup to disk, there will be no weekly to disk so the duplicate of the weekly won't run, but the monthly will once the monthly to disk ends.

Note you can have 2 duplicate stages in the same definition but be careful which Add Stage botton you click on as once you have created the first duplicate stage you will have two buttons to choose from

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the pointers, was able to add the duplicate stage in the correct way so that everything appears to be setup in the correct way now.

James