cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 cannot back up Symantec Messaging Gateway on VMWare

SFG
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a virtual appliance on VMWare 5.0x for my Symantec Messaging Gateway.  I was able to back it up without issue when I had BE 2010.  Ever since I upgraded to BE 2012, the appliance won't back up.  The permissions have not changed (I am using the same accounts).  

I have deleted the job and created it several times, attempted to use different accounts, all having "root" permissions on VMWare.  These same accounts back up other VMWare VMs without issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

8 REPLIES 8

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SFG.. What is the error that is being Thrown when the backup fails?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you by any chance getting "The job failed with the following error: A Backup Exec server cannot back itself up when it is installed on a virtual machine.”

You porbably need to log a formal support case anyway, in order for us to investigate the problem however if you are getting the above message then when/if you log a formal case, please let me know the reference number (by private/direct message within the forums)

VJware
Level 6

What is the version of SMG ?

Are you able to backup via SMG itself (from Administration - Version - Backup) ?

SFG
Level 3

Version is 10.0.0.  Not the current firmware but fairly recent.

Yes, I can back up the appliance by itself without issue.

Looking at the job history, I see

Final error:  0xe00009541 - could not connect to the vCenter server or ESX server. Please verify the credentials supplied for logon.

This ESX host also has Windows VMS and back them up fine. 

VJware
Level 6

I found a KB ~ http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159437

This KB is not directly related, however it mentions that SMG 9.5 (a previous version than SMG 10.0) cannot be backed up using Backup Exec. Are the SMG support able to confirm that SMG 10.0 can be backed up via Backup Exec ? If yes, would recommend then to open a support case.

SFG
Level 3

Oddly the backup worked last night.  I deleted the server object under Backup and Restore --> Servers.  Then I selected the vSphere server to back up (copy an existing job), removed all the VMs except the endpoint gateway, and it ran fine. 

The issue now is that I don't see it under "servers".  So how am I supposed to restore it since I cannot select it to be restored?

Colin_Weaver

Was GRT enabled in the backup job ?

- If it was not then edit the job and enable GRT in the job config and run it again.

- If it was, does the job log state that GRT is not supported in that machine?

++ If it does state "GRT not supported" then the only restore capability is the whole VM (for DR) which you restore by selecting the vSphere server object that you selected to create the backup jopb (GRT restore selections are made using the actual VM server object.)

++ if it does not state "GRT not supported" and GRT was enabled then you probably should log a formal support case.

SFG
Level 3

GRT was not enabled - good catch!  I will enable it and run a test job now and report back.

I'd probably only ever do a full snapshot restore, but GRT would be a nice option to restore an individual file if ever needed.