cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 catalog diskstorage - "device paused"

Flyfish
Level 3

Hi

One of my B2D-disks has been paused for a while. I paused it on purpose, due to the wellknown poor BE diskpool handling.

Now I set the disk online and want to do an inventory and catalog on this disk. The inventory part is succesfully completed, but the catalog job just sits there with a "Device paused" message. This is NOT true...the disk is online and I can browse it, see backup sets, see media files, etc, etc. And the inventory job just went fine....so BE 2012 must know it's online, right?

I tried to restart BE services and run the job again.....same error.

In the B2D details/jobs window it shows the job is running but deviced is paused
dev_pau.jpg

In BEcli it shows the disk to be online/not paused
cli_disk.jpg

Anyone have an idea of what is going on? 

My setup is: 
Single BE 2012 server all patches/SP3, physical Win2008 x64 box, B2D-disks locally attached via SAS.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try to restart the Be services and see if the catalog works. You could also look up adamm.log file in Backup Exec\Logs folder and see if there are any errors.

Flyfish
Level 3

Hi Jaydeep

As stated in original post I already tried to restart BE services and run the catalog again with no succes.

I do not see erros in the adammm log - anything specific I should look after with this issue?
The log tells me that the B2D disk is online:

9999:0112:0008:0001  Device Name             "HarddiskVolume3"
                     Secondary Name          "\\?\Volume{219f4eb1-cc17-11e1-8212-3cd92b0760f4}"
                     Primary Inquiry         "FIXEDB2DDevice          1.00"
                     Serial Number           "FIXEDB2DDevice           {DF1EA86E-C341-470B-8B3D-C3ED1370121F}"
                     Device Flags            SPO_B2D, LOCAL, SN(TYPE 0)
 "here ->"      Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1015, {DF1EA86E-C341-470B-8B3D-C3ED1370121F}
                     Device Name             "BackupDisk01"
                     Folder Path             "E:\BEData\"

And the device mapping are correct too:

Win32 name               NT internal name

------------------------ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E:                      \Device\HarddiskVolume3

Cheers

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you checked to see if the server is perhaps Paused within BE? If so, this can also cause the devices to pause...

Thanks!

Flyfish
Level 3

Hi

I'm not sure what server you mean? The B2D devices are locally attached to BE server.
(i.e Folder Path             "E:\BEData\")

Cheers

Flyfish
Level 3

Now I tried to restore a file from a B2D disk which have been paused earlier....and get same error about device being paused:

Restore 00127 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.

The device is NOT paused, offline or disabled! 

Can anyone tell me how to fix that? This is a critical issue.

It seem so stupid...first you pause a device to avoid the poor BE 2012-handling of B2D devices, then you enable it again and cannot restore from the device because BE 2012 still think it's pause, offline or disabled. (yes, BE services have been restarted)

Anyone?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try deleting the disk storage from the BE console.  This will not delete the actual BEDATA directory.  Restart all your BE services and then then add a disk storage to the volume agent.  This disk storage will then use the existing BEDATA directory.  After the disk storage is successfully created, do an inventory and catalog on the disk storage.