cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 does not recognize Full Backup?

EyeintheSky
Level 3

Last weekend, I ran a full backup of several of my VMware hosted VMs.  Now I want to create a differential backup of one of those VMs, but when I try to do that Backup Exec 2012 (Sp4) wants to create a full backup and then a differential.  Even if I put the full on hold, the differential is scheduled for after it. Is there anyway to make the Backup Exec 2012 recognize the fact that it has already done a full backup of the VM in question and just execute a differential?.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You cannot do do this.  The differential backup must reference a full backup hence the full backup and the differential backup MUST be in one job.  If this differential backup is going to be recurring, then you should add it to the recurring backup which contains the full backup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Were the full backups that you ran previously One time backups?  

The differential needs to be associated with a full backup that has been created and ran as a typical backup job. A One Time backup has limitations. 

EyeintheSky
Level 3

No it was not a One-time backup job.  The Full backup was part of a re-occurring weekend job.  How does one "associate" a job with another job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You cannot do do this.  The differential backup must reference a full backup hence the full backup and the differential backup MUST be in one job.  If this differential backup is going to be recurring, then you should add it to the recurring backup which contains the full backup.

EyeintheSky
Level 3

*Sigh*  Thanks.  I hope this gets fixed in 2014.