cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 8.6 and Buffalo TeraStation

Joe_Smith_3
Level 3
We have Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 running on Microsoft Small Business Server 2000.

We have purchased a Buffalo TeraStation 1TB NAS device., which uses Linux as its Operating System.

We plan to map the Shared Folders on the Bufalo TeraStation in order to use BE 8.6 to backup their contents to our SCSI tape drive.

We think that we need Remote Agent in order to do this but this forum implies that we need a UNIX or a Linux Agent.

This leads to several questions:
1. If we only need Remote Agent, will the 9.1 Remote Agent work because we can no longer purchase an 8.6 Remote Agent?
2. If so, where does the Remote Agent get installed? Is it on the SBS machine or on the NAS device?
3. If we need to purchase a UNIX or a Linux Agent, is there any version limitations that we should be aware of?
4. Where does a UNIX or a Linux Agent get installed? On the SBS machine or on the NAS device?
5. If it is on the NAS device, do we need to get Root Access to Linux in order to install the Agent?
6. Is it necessary to rebuild the Linux kernel if a UNIX or Linux Agent is installed?

Sorry for the number of questions. Thanks in anticipation.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1) The "Remote Agent" is for Windows based systems

2) The serial for a Remote Agent is entered on the Media Server, but the code is instaled on the remote machine, either vi apush or through a local install

3) Unix Agent is availble at http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269803.htm

4) See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240654.htm

5) See 4)

6) See 4)

Joe_Smith_3
Level 3
Hi Ken

Thanks for your response.

Looks like it's back to Buffalo to check how to get root access to Linux on the TeraStation.!

Still, at least there's no need to rebuild the Linux kernel. The good news is that it appears that the Agent for UNIX (from your response to item 3) can be appied to most versions of Backup Exec, including the one that is in use.

Thanks again
Joe

Chris_McGinn
Level 3
Ken, your reply was very helpful. We're facing the same situation. I downloaded the file, but I don't know how to expand a *.tar file. Is that Linux? Do you know how to access the root level on the Terastation box? We know nothing about Linux.

Also, do you happen to know if Backup Exec 10 resolves any of this?

Thanks
CM

Chris_McGinn
Level 3
Joe,

We're in the same situation you were in - only using Win 2000 Svr standard edition.

Were you able to get any help from Buffalo? When I called them, they said they knew nothing about Linux and they don't support it. Pretty strange to market equipment based on a system they know nothing about and don't support.

I don't even know how to expand the downloaded Linux agent.

Thanks for any help,
CM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes TAR is similar to a ZIP file, primarily on *NIX OSes. Most modern ZIP programs will at least read, if not save TAR format.

Never even seen a TerraStation. Hope that Joe can help you there

Joe_Smith_3
Level 3
Hi CM,

I regret that Buffalo have not provided a great deal of help despite the efforts of Craig Reid who is based in Eire with Buffalo Technology - basically, Buffalo Technology is Japan has been less than forthcoming.

To summarise the situation:
1. Buffalo will not provide root access to the TeraStation.
2. Japan states that the TeraStation is meant to be a backup location, not the other way around. I must say that this is not how I read their marketing material!
3. On 30th March, Craig told me that 'soon there will be the Linux GPL open source posted to the website, you might be able to generate a new firmware from this that allows telnet/ssh. Hell, if I could generate new firmware, I could give myself root access! However, there is still no sign of it.

As you can see, Craig has tried to assist but Japan not only fails to assist but misrepresents the facts. They market the TeraStation as 'Network Attached Storage', which normally means that it can used for data storage - in fact, they provide 'Robust user and group level permissions for securing network data shares' from their marketing material at http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=97&categoryid=19. This marketing material also clearly states 'Powerful backup utility allows easy setup and management of backups to or from the TeraStation' - admittedly qualifying this by stating 'when multiple TeraStations are located on the network'.

I'm awaiting the Linux GPL open source posting on their website to see what can be achieved with that. Meanwhile, I'm simply using the TeraStation as a B2D device for Backup Exec.

Cheers
Joe.