cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.1 aborts remainder of job on error

Tadas_Osmolskis
Level 2
As of a week or two ago, BE started producing "0xa00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.". I'm using the KB articles to try to diagnose this, with no luck so far, and I may post a different thread on this later.

My immediate problem is that BE kills the backup job immediately on receiving this error, and does not continue to other machines. The particular case from which i cut'n'pasted the error message from was supposed to back up servers GREEN, JET, ORANGE, VIOLET and WHITE. The error occurred after it apparently completed backing up ORANGE's Shadow Copy Components. The job just bailed and did not even attempt to back up VIOLET or WHITE. How do I force it to run the entire job, backing up the maximum of what it can, instead of just throwing up its hands at the first sign of trouble?

I am open to registry hacks, weird command line parameters, or anything else that will *****RUN THE FULL BACKUP****.

(BTW, apropos the underlying 0xa00084f8 problem, it never seems to haoppen doing an "immediate" backup, only on a scheduled job).

Any help would be appreciated,

Tadas Osmolskis
7 REPLIES 7

Chris_Knapp_2
Level 3
Until you figure out the network issue, try this: If you re-order the job so that ORANGE is at the tail end, does it still fail early on or at ORANGE?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly. This error will occur at each job while it does the Shadow Copy Component backup.

This error occurs when backing up the BKUPEXEC from the "Microsoft SQL server "BKUPEXEC"" as well as the Shadow copy Components
To resolve the error you need to select either of the two places to backup the SQL database. It is suggested you to backup SQL instance from the "Microsoft SQL server "BKUPEXEC". " and uncheck the selection for "Shadow copy components> User data> SQL server> Server name> BKUPEXEC". "

-- You can also refer the following technote:-
"A timeout occurred waiting for data from the agent during operation shutdown" or "The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors" (a00084f8 HEX or e00084f8 HEX) is reported during a backup operation. http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tadas_Osmolskis
Level 2
I do not understand your response, and it does not address the question I asked. I was asking how to ensure that Backup Exec 9.1 ****keeps going**** after it receives the error, and backs up *everything* that I told it to back up, not bail out when it has a problem. Your answer addresses the underlying problem that causes the bailout, not the fact that BE quits upon receiving the error.

Regarding your answer concerning the underlying communications error, you say:

"This error occurs when backing up the BKUPEXEC from the "Microsoft SQL server "BKUPEXEC"" as well as the Shadow copy Components "

I do not have any SQL server on the computer whose Shadow Copy backup is failing (ORANGE). The BKUPEXEC SQL server thatn the product uses for its own purposes is located on GREEN\BKUPEXEC, and the computer GREEN (the BE server) has always backed up with no problem (and I get the popup about database maintenance). I am in no way, shape or form attempting to backup live SQL databases anywhere in this backup job.

I've tried all of the basic "Networking 101" tips in the tech note, and they haven't made a difference.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

This is by Backup Exec's design that if you are backing up multiple resources, and the job faces any errors then it will fail the job and not try to backup the rest of the resources.

We hope this answers your question. You may try to change the resource order and verify the result.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked

assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Tadas_Osmolskis
Level 2
In your response, you state:

"This is by Backup Exec's design that if you are backing up multiple resources, and the job faces any errors then it will fail the job and not try to backup the rest of the resources."

That has to be one of the worst design decisions ever -- it is the exact opposite of what most people will want -- a backup of as much as possible.

How do I disable this "feature"? I am willing to go as far as patch bytes in an executable with a sector editor.

"You may try to change the resource order and verify the result."

How can I predict where a job will fail? What do you mean by "verify the result"?

If this stupid "feature" cannot be disabled, how can I chain multiple jobs so that each one starts after the previous one completes? It would be a clumsy workaround, will clog the schedule, and is subject to errors regarding overwrite vs. append, but it will do what I would expect from a backup program -- back up *everything* I tell it to, and report any errors.

Finally, who do I complain to in order to get this major problem corrected in a future patch?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Ypu cannot disable any feature in backup exec for the job to continue to the other servers if it fails on one server.

2. On the other hand you may predict whether a job might fail by doinf a test run . Refer to

Title :What is the 'Test Run' option in Backup Exec (tm) 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253164

To lodge an enhancement request please log on to:
http://maillist.support.veritas.com/subscribe.asp

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.