cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.1 catalogs in BE 10.0

Jason_Eisel
Level 4
We are having real problems migrating our BE 9.1 catalogs to BE 10.0. We have followed the steps outlined by Veritas to copy our old catalogs to our new media server. I've imported several tapes, inventoried them, and tried running a restore (and also a catalog) only to get the following error message:

e0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.

I have also followed the steps outlined in article:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260761.htm

I have also tried moving the catalog path to a different, empty location. However, after I did this, cataloging the media worked. This temporarily solves our problem, but I would rather not catalog 500 tapes. This is the process we followed when we "migrated" our 9.1 catalogs to 10.0:

1. Stopped all Backup Exec services.
2. Copied 9.1 catalogs to "D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs".
3. Started all Backup Exec services.
4. Started the Backup Exec application.
5. Ran inventory then restore - FAILURE.

Is there something missing here? Do we have to perform some sort of "migration maintenance" on the 9.1 catalogs before migrating them into 10.0? Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You cannot move existing 9.1 jobs to a 10.x server because they are contained in the database. As per article 260054 you cannot move the database to different versions of backup exec. Also pertaining to the catalog question, you will not be able to move the catalogs because they are a different format in 10.x (*.img extension) than in 9.x (*.u01 extension).
You're best method for doing this is to follow technote 260054 and install 9.1 and move your existing to the new location. Then perform an upgrade to 10.x.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jason_Eisel
Level 4
So you're telling me that our 9.1 catalogs are useless with our 10.0 installation?! I don't believe that because Veritas has a tech doc which explains how to migrate 9.1 catalogs to a 10.0 installation; and I followed that document word-for-word.

It is not feasable for us to re-install 9.1 then upgrade to 10.0 on our media server. We already have 5 months worth of 10.0 jobs on that media server.

If there is another administrator or user who has better insight, I would really appreciate it if you could share that with me. Thanks!

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We apologize for our earlier reply regarding this question.

As you have followed following steps,

1. Stopped all Backup Exec services.
2. Copied 9.1 catalogs to "D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs".
3. Started all Backup Exec services.
4. Started the Backup Exec application.
5. Ran inventory then restore - FAILURE.

After an inventory have you tried doing catalog before restoring the data?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.