cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE10 - Backup failing on SBS2003 - Remote Agent service stops.

Marc_Jones_2
Level 3
We have been experiencing this issue ever since we installed BE10 on a Windows 2003 SBS at one of our divisional office locations (6 months). Every few nights the backup job will fail after only about 30 seconds with the following error:

Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

There are many of these in the log:

The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine SERVER01.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Remote Agent not detected on \\SERVER01.

This is NOT a remote server - it is a SBS 2003 server and it is the only server in that office - BE10 is installed on it and the tape drive is in that server. There is NO firewall running either.

None of the KB articles are helping to figure this out. If we restart the BE Remote Agent service the backup will complete successfully for maybe 1 or 2 nights - then it will fail again and the service will be stopped.

Is this a common issue right now and is there a REAL fix for the problem?

Thanks to anyone for helping!
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276979

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276250

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Marc_Jones_2
Level 3
Sorry but these articles don't help with this situation.

1st off - we don't have Oracle... it's a little SBS server - come on...

2nd - I already said that there is NO FIREWALL.

3rd - Please understand that the backup job WILL WORK for a FEW NIGHTS in a row and then fail.

Can I get some REAL assistance with some NEW solutions? Do you guys actually look into the issues posted here or do you just search the KB? I can search the KB myself - I have read all of these articles already.

Thanks

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please check that the port 10000 is free.

Also you can change the priority of Remote Agent to "Below Normal Priority" and then check the results.

For that go the Job Properties...click on Advanced below Settings.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Marc_Jones_2
Level 3
I am testing the "below normal priority" setting. I will let you know if it is successful. Backup completed last night, sometimes it runs ok for a few days so we will see.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We will wait for an Update from you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Marc_Jones_2
Level 3
Changing the agent priority to below normal didn't resolve this problem. The backup ran successfully for 2 days and then it failed again last night with the same error and the remote agent is stopped.

Any other ideas??? Why do you need the remote agent running on the SBS server anyways when BE10 is installed on that server and it is the only machine being backed up???

Let me know if anyone has any other possible solutions.

Thanks

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Put the remote agent service in debug mode.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254212.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.