cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE CPS Agent ( CPA ) not working after OS upgrade from win2000 to win2k3SP1

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Hi there,
we are currently upgrading 50 servers from win2k to win2k3SP1 and the only software not to work after the upgrade is the CPA service! (BECPA10.1)
I tried a lot of fixes, as the registry modif due to error 8201, but nothing worked.
the only solution is to uninstall, reboot, re install, reboot... image the workload after hours!
Did anyone face this situation ? any idea for a quick fix ?

thanks for your helpMessage was edited by:
Alexandre Rappoport
8 REPLIES 8

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Does this problem is occuring after installing any patch or update on the server?

Event logs are showing any errors?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Hi Deepali, thanks for your reply,
only Backup Exec Continuous Proctection Agent service will fail to start under win2k3sp1. all the other BE CPS services will start fine. please note that BE is not installed on the machine, only the CPA.
the errors are :
===CPS Protection Agent initialization failed: cannot communicate with the filter drivers. NT error the system cannot find the file specified

===windows could not start the BE Continuous Agent on Local Computer. For more info, review the sys event log . if this is a non microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service specific error code 8201

hope you can help me . thanks

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would request you to once reinstall the Continuous Protection Agent. This is a test. Check if its giving same error.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Yes this is the only solution so far. ( after the upgrade to win2k3, CPA : uninstall / reboot / install / reboot - refer to my first thread). BUT THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, as we have 50 production servers to upgrade from win2k to win2k3.
The strange thing is that out of all softwares installed, only CPA does not work after the OS upgrade.

Please let me know if you find the issue and a fix not involving uninstall/reinstall.
thanks a lot

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

You can try running a repair installation of the agent as we have observed that repair installation also resolves the issue.

As of now these are the only solutions available.

Try renaming the rsa.log and then try starting the service and verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Thanks for the reply,
I did not mention it but I tried the repair too and it did not work.
I will try the rsa.log renaming tonight and keep you posted.
thanks a lot

Alexandre_Rappo
Level 5
Hi Sharvari,
could you please send me the technote regarding the rsa.log, because, I spent more than 1/2 hour on it and nothing worked.
I tried without rebooting, services down, renaming, serives up, it did not work
second try with rebooting, did not work neither.
I ended uninstall / reboot / install / reboot, which again is not a solution in itself.

Thanks for your time on this

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

The Backup Exec Continuous Protection Indexing Service will not start or stops when using the BERetrieve web console.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282698

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.