cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Exec 2010 BU Job stops/ hangs w/o error messages

Frank_Kabiersch
Level 4

Hello Forum,

after the upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 I have begun experiencing the following errors:

The full backup jobs all stop after about the same amount of data written (44.286.655.293 byte). The job log says it's currently backing up a file on a Windws 2003 (x64) Server (our file server) named: "c:\wmpub\wmiislog" (wmiislog being an empty folder). Trying to cancel the job ends up in the job being in the status of "waiting to be cancelled" forever.

The next thing I do is stop all buexec-services, then reboot the device (DELL TL-2000) and then do a new inventory to find my tape empty.

I have tried reinstalling the remote agent on the x64 Server but to no success. I also have tried erasing the tape (LTO4). I hope anyone can help me with this issue soon, as by now I have no valid backups available other than volume shadow copies.

Thank you in advance!
Frank
25 REPLIES 25

tgv
Level 2
I am seeing nearly the exact same issue described by Frank.  I am using the Windows agent to backup a 2003 R2 Server with Backup Exec 2010.  The agent and BackupExec are both up-to-date.   When I run the job, it seems to hang when it hits the "c:\wmpub\wmiislog" folder.  After excluding that folder, the "c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS" folder hangs in the same way.  The job doesn't fail, but will not continue (byte count doesn't move).  The job will not cancel, "Cancel Pending" doesn't change, and the Backup Exec services will not restart.  I have to reboot the backup server to reset BE.

BackupExec is running on Windows 2008 Server x64
A Dell TL4000 with two LTO-4 drives is attached by SAS
Windows Server is virtualized in vSphere, but agent is being used with this job.

Please let me know if a solution is found.  We are backing up countless similar Windows servers without a problem.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@tgv - Do you have an additional LEO licence for your second tape drive?

@Frank - How many tape drives do you have?

Frank_Kabiersch
Level 4

I have a DELL TL-2000 with one (1) tape drive.

tgv
Level 2
Yes, I have a library expansion option license installed in Backup Exec.  This backup has worked fine in the past.

-tgv

Frank_Kabiersch
Level 4

@tgv: Is your W2K3SRV R2 also an x64? My faulty backups only relate to my fileserver 'herakles' which is the only x64 Server in my network. All others backup fine and they are 32-bit systems.

Frank_Kabiersch
Level 4

I could solve my problem, but am not sure which task did the job, as I changed two things at a a time.

I decided to do a complete reinstall of my BE2010 application and all related products such as remote agents. In order to do this, I double checked my licences online and found out that not all had been upgraded to BE Exec 13 (i.e. 2010), so iwent through the whole upgrade process.

After that I uninstalled all remote agents and finally removed the application itself from the media server. A couple of reboots later I reinstalled BE 2010 and downloaded and installed Hotfix 348284. Then I deployed all remote agents. I still couldn't  do a push install to my domain controller, though.

I had all my jobs and lists saved, and ran a Backup of foresaid fileserver. All went well. Last night's backup was fine, too. I'm back on track!

Yours,
Frank