Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE SBS remote backup of SQL server

ghewitt
Level 2
I have got 2 servers:
1) W2KSBS for Exchange mainly
2) W2K Standard with MSSQL2000 installed

If I put BE 10 SBS on W2KSBS and RA on other, will the RA allow BE SBS (with its included SQL agent) to backup remote MSSQL2000 installation? Having read BE 10 PDFs I think IDR functionality is spread by RA but can you confirm if IDR will also be available on remote server?

Thanks for clarifying this which I'm sure must have been covered before but I can't find references so far!
4 REPLIES 4

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You will not be able to backup the SQL instance/s on the remote server with a license for BE SBS.
IDR will be available on the remote server.

ghewitt
Level 2
Thanks for your quick reply - your confirmations are much appreciated.

Denis_Kelley
Level 2
> You will not be able to backup the SQL instance/s on
> the remote server with a license for BE SBS.
> IDR will be available on the remote server.

Hi, John.

I have the same design challenge using 2003 SBS and a 2003 member server running SQL Server 2000. How do I backup SQL is this configuration? Can I use the standard (non Veritas SBS suite) applications like BE 10 Server + one Exchange/Remote combo instead? Would the standard applications have any issues with backing up on the SBS server which has a tape unit attached?

Thanks,
Denis

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you have a non-SBS serial, you can install it on either a standard or SBS server, with any database serials that you have.

SBS serials must be on an SBS server and will not connect to remote ServerOS machines, but will connect to remote Workstation OS machines