cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE keeps creating files in B2D folder

Fred12
Level 4

For some reason BE has suddenly decided that if any space becomes available on my server it can create new B2D files to use it up.
The server is shared by other people so this is causing problems as the disk is permanently filling up.
If I delete something to create more space a couple of minutes later it is gone and a new B2D file exists.

Is there a setting somewhere that could have been inadvertently changed? It never used to do this!

Also, if I find said setting and change it how can I safely delete some of the B2D files to get my disk space back?

I noticed that the files are also showing as 'Not appendable (Media full)' is that a bad thing? I think it probably is!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions...

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You haven't mentioned the version of Backup Exec that you are using.

In the global settings make sure you have selected the overwrite protection level as "Partial" and the 

option of "Use recycable media before using scratch media" is checked. Also make sure that the backup

jobs are configured to overwrite media instead of appending.

Fred12
Level 4

Hi Amol

Thanks for the reply, it is the 2010 version.

I have checked the settings and have changed it 'Use recycleable before using scratch...' as per your suggestion.
Presumably this will solve the problem in that no more B2D files will be created unless they are actually needed.

Is it possible to reclaim some of the disc space back by deleting some of the B2D files?
If so, how would one identify which ones can be deleted?

Thanks again

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In the Media tab, check which .bkf files have expired. These can be deleted. 1. Associate them with the Retired Media set 2. Right-click and select Delete. This week delete them from BE. 3. Go to Windows Explorer and delete these files from the disk

AmolB

For deleting .bkf files from the B2D folders refer to PKH's comments from the below forum thread.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/deleting-bkf-files#comment-6284191

EDIT: Also refer to the below articles.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22729 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22731

Fred12
Level 4

Thanks but where does it show if they are 'expired'?
Do you mean where the overwrite protection date has been passed?
If so I have a real problem as these are all future dated.

AmolB

In this situation you need to take a call on which backups sets to be retired and deleted.

Fred12
Level 4

Ah.. lets play russian roulette with our backups?
Could be time to call an expert in as I dont think our backups have run successfully for about 10 days!
We had a job showing as Active/Queued and running for 300+ hours so something is seriously broke.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you need to keep all the backup sets, then you would need to get more disk space