cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE requesting media despite plenty of tape space left.

Ali_MacKenzie
Level 3
Hello chaps,

We are backing up about 160Gb of exchange data using 200/400Gb ultrium tapes. We recently had to replace a few bits of hardware (the new hardware is identical) yet now, for some reason, the backup job is getting to about 130Gb, ejecting the tape, and requesting further media.

We are using the same tapes and the same hardware, any ideas as to why this has started happening please?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
8 REPLIES 8

Ali_MacKenzie
Level 3
Hi - does anyone have any ideas about this please?

I just need somewhere to start looking

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Have you activated any COmpression for this job ?

What Hardware replacement have you done ?

Are the tapes also new or getting overwritten\ append ?

Update us and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Ali_MacKenzie
Level 3
Hi Gauri,

We replaced the rack-mounted tape enclosure, so nothing too major. The backup is running at a lovely pace, until for some reason it requests more media at around 130Gb.

We are running hardware compression and the tapes are set to overwrite.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Did you install the latest Veritas Drivers?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ali_MacKenzie
Level 3
Hi Shweta,

Yesterday I completely uninstalled v10.0 and reinstalled with 10.1d, installed latest drivers, updates etc. etc. Set backup to run overnight, as normal.

This morning once again the job had stopped at just under 130Gb and was requesting more media.

Anywhere else I should start looking?

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
Did you try using another tape ?
To isolate the issue try backing up with the Windows Backup utility.
Check the event viewer for any hardware related errors.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, try turning compression OFF. There have been lots of problems with v10 and hardware compression on LTO drives.

I THINK the solution that worked for some folks was to initialize the tapes using the mfg utility, rather than Backupexec. Try searching the v10 forum for LTO and compression

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Ali,

Have you tried out the steps suggested in the previous 2 posts? If the issue persists even after trying out those steps, do revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.