cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE v10 - Error 0xe00084af - SQL 2008?

Steve_Staves
Level 3
One of my clients installed Microsoft SQl Server 2008 and since then Veritas Backup Exec v10 will no longer run.  After processing 1,020,707,926 bytes the job fails with the error message " Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.  The bytes count is basically the System Ste so it cannot move onto the C-Drive.  There are no exlusions in the job to cause an issue, I have recreated the job, verified that the account being used has 100% access as it is an enterprise admin account on Server 2003.

Is it possibly that SQL Server 2008 is causing this issue with Veritas Backup Exec v10?  I had assumed that it should not cause an issue, just that Veritas cannot backup the SQL database without an updated agent. 

8 REPLIES 8

chicojrman
Level 6
Post the exact error!

chicojrman
Level 6
update your backup exec ver to it's fulliest, restart the BE services. Did you happen to update your server recently and changes that you're aware of recently?

chicojrman
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278705.htm

chicojrman
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278705.htm

Steve_Staves
Level 3
hmmm - Post the exact error?  I did - "Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed".  That is the EXACT error.  I have read through all of the tech notes regarding this error but non appear applicable as I am not using Open File etc - In fact, no agents are used.  The latest updates are all installed as that was the first thing that I did. 

Do you read the message before replying??  You also asked if any changes were made recently??  The very first sentece - "One of my clients installed Microsoft SQl Server 2008 and since then Veritas Backup Exec v10 will no longer run" so to answer a rhetorical question, yes changes were recently made.  SQL 2008 was installed.

I know you are trying to help but at least read the question before posting numerous rhetorical posts for points.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
SQL 2008 is NOT compatible with BE 10. SQL 2008 is only compatible with BE 12.5 at this time.  It is very likely that the update did cause the problem because of the change in the writers that SQL 2008 installs.  Best bet to get it fixed is going to be upgrading to 12.5

Steve_Staves
Level 3
Thank you Ben, that is what I was concluding from the issue and from everything that I have read but I had to be certain before suggesting to my client to upgrade to version 12.5 - No one likes to spend money :)

It is odd though that Veritas backup Exec simply stopped processing any files beyond the System State.  I even tried a job with one solitary file and it did not work either.  Does SQL Server 2008 really interfer with Veritas backup Exec that much?  I would have guessed that just the SQL data could not be backed up, not everything.

MitchR
Level 6

BE actually uses SQL to store config information and the catalogs.  For most people, BE just installes a copy of "SQL Express" - sort of a run-time version of SQL.  When you install BE, you'll see on the the install wizard steps is to specify which SQL it should use, with an option of installing & using SQL Express.

SQL Express and full-blown SQL can co-exist together, though not always successfully.  I'd recommend you try reinstalling your copy of BE on top of your existing install, and make sure you specify to use the SQL Express.  That might fix your server.  Couldn't hurt.