cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE was unable to initialize and commnnicate with the device [HP MSL G3 Series 6.20]

Dan8
Level 3

Checked from search engine, found most of the error message followed is Access is denied, but that is not the case of mine, the message for me is: (The system cannot find the path specified.)

The server is connected to 2 Tape Library: LTO4 & LTO6, and now, I have tried to disable and even delete the LTO4 Robotic library, only LTO6 left, no luck, and the Alerts still keep posting the Error in the Subject, both for 6.20 & 4.90, also another Error Alarts device \\.\Changer0 (The requested resouce is in use.). and Changer1.

Also trying to disable the Tape drives HP LTO4 from Device Manager, it does not work.

Reboot is also tried, still no luck.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What shows up in Windows Device Manager?

There are 2 devices related to the tape from my view:

1. Medium Changer devices: HP MSL G3 Series library (x64 based), driver version 3.0.0.0;

2. Tape drives: HP LTO Ultrium-6 drive, drive version 1.0.7.1

From the beginning, there are 2 Tape, so that Error message: Library Expansion Option Violation. shown, no matter offline, disable or even delete one of them, today I unplug the SAS cable connected to the LTO 4 tape drive, the error message disappeared, but no luck.

After reboot the Tape Library from WebUI, scan slots successful with the old information, Inventory Device failed with Status: Physical Volume Library Robot not found. Then the Robotic library turned offline.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I would suggest uninstalling & deleting the HP drivers.  Things work fine with Microsoft generic drivers.

Thanks for your suggestion, one more strange thing is that the tape may go from Library to the Drive automatically, no finding till now as it happened randomly,

Also tried to delete the tape from BE, and reboot the server & tape llibrary, at last, BE could only find the Tape drive itself without the Library.

The normal one should be:

Normally.jpg

The one server with error message, only Tape drive left, no Robotic Library & Slots.

NoLibrary.jpg

Any idea would be appreciated.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Dan8wrote:

The one server with error message, only Tape drive left, no Robotic Library & Slots.

NoLibrary.jpg

Any idea would be appreciated.

#1 Does Windows Device Manager show the medium changer?

If yes, then restart BE services and it should get discovered.

If no, then investigate OS issue, tape library issues, connection issues, etc.

#2 Are you using SAS or FC?

If you are using SAS, make sure it is NOT a RAID capable HBA, unless it is one of hte few RAID cards supported for tape. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683

#3 This troubleshooting How-To may help https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000026013

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your suggestion:

#1 Both Medium changer & tape drivers are good from Device Manager, after restart BE services, error message shows and after 10 mins discovering, only tape drive found:

ErrorMe.jpg

#2 Supposed to be SAS, as it is not FC, but how I can know the RAID cards or not, and if it is RAID or not remotely?

#3 Looking into the document to check now.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@Dan8wrote:

#2 Supposed to be SAS, as it is not FC, but how I can know the RAID cards or not, and if it is RAID or not remotely?

Windows Device Manager will give you a good start to determine what HBA you are using.

Please post your adamm.log file