cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE11d options missing

infrastructure1
Level 3
I have just added 2 network cards to my BE11d server (2003 Std R2, HP ProLiant platform) to bring the grand total to 3. Unfortunately, I am unable to see the new NICs in the BackupExec11 Job Settings window. I have looked under the "Network and Security" segment, and all that is listed is the encryption key options, no interface selection.

I know the NICs are configured correctly, and that traffic can pass over them, so I'm wondering what exactly i have to do to gain the option to assign a job to a specific NIC?

I checked on the "Application Defaults" option window (Ctrl+O), under "Network and Security", and all three interfaces are available in that location, just not on the job settings page...

The options I'd like to see can be seen here: http://support.veritas.com/docs/286957
5 REPLIES 5

Joseph_Gremilli
Level 4
All of our backup exec servers have dual NICs.   We have the first NIC setu in our primary network and our 2nd NIC has the IP of a sub-net behind a firewall.  I have Backup Exec setup to use any avaliable NIC.  Backup Exec uses the NIC that is setup behind the firewall to backup the servers behind the firewall which eleminates having to have all backup data pass through our firewall.

Joseph_Gremilli
Level 4
Also, If you are running in a CASO enviroment you won't see the option to pick a NIC for a job.  However if you go to your MMS server(s) you get the option to pick a NIC for a backup job. 

infrastructure1
Level 3
so CASO kills my ability to manually load balance jobs onto seperate NICs?

I am hoping the resolve a throughput issue I'm having. Currently I have 7 jobs that run at once and they all use the same NIC. I'd like to divide them up onto different NICs to allow greater throughput.

Joseph_Gremilli
Level 4
I guess you can try setting up a policy to have different jobs run on different MMS and then setup the MMS to use diferent NICs. Although I am not sure what that would get you 

When the jobs run Backup Exec should be using the NIC which can take the fewest hops to the target servers.  At least that is what is happening here.  

I am in a CASO enviroment and us dual NICS and don't have a problem.  Seems like BE selects the best NIC for the job.

infrastructure1
Level 3
I just spent an hour on the phone with Symantec Support and heard (more-or-less) what you just said.

Turns out that when CASO is installed, several job management features are REMOVED on the CASO server. I'm not sure why, but it seems like a SERIOUS development issue to me. Basically the tech's solutions was to add a MMS at the site where my CASO resides and setup the jobs on the MMS so  that I can gain the regain the settings that are removed from CASO.

I pay $30k for software that removes functionality when I upgrade? I think not. Legato training, here I come.