cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE12: Unable to append to existing backup set...

Steve_Bottoms
Level 3

Hi, all!  Using BE12 on Windows 2k3 with dual Quantum SDLT320 drives on separate controllers.

I currently have a job configured to run daily differentials at midnight, followed by an Exchange backup that's configured to append to the same tape that contains the daily diff.  When the second backup begins, the following error occurs:

"Final error 0xe0000f16 - The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed."

I've read the associated KB article and it's recommended reading, and nothing really sheds any light on the issue.  Both backups (daily diff and Exchange backup) fit on a single tape (daily diff is 128 Gig, Exchange is 10 Gig), so size isn't an issue, and there is a span of 4-5 hours between backups, so I don't think drive availability is an issue.  I can manually run the Exchange backup job the next morning and it will run (and append) perfectly to the tape containing the daily diff run during the night.

Should the media set for the second backup job be set to the same as that of the first job?  I thought if the backup job was set to the default "Media Set 1" it would use whatever tape is in the drive, but maybe the fact that the first job has a specific media set configured ("Rotational differential") it won't? 

I'm confused what the issue may be here...  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

SteveB

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Should the media set for the second backup job be set to the same as that of the first job?

Absolutely. 

BackupExec will only append data if the target media (tape volume) already contains a backup set that belongs to the same media set as the current job, and if the tape volume is still within the APP (Append Protection Period) for that media set