cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 Deduplication Virtualized?

SLY_CV
Level 3

Is it possible to run BE 2010 Deduplication in a virtualized environment?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to have an off-site media server using VMWare to provide a cold site. I could use optimized duplication to replicate my local deduplication storage folder off site. Then in the event of a disaster I would have cold images ready to go. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi SLY,

You can run BE as a VM on ESX, and if you're backing up to tape would need an Adaptec card. That said, as you're backing up to disk, there should be no hassles. You do need to read up on the requirements for deduplication though, so get hold of the Admin Guide and read up on that section.

Hardware needs to conform with what is required, so your hosts (both on your primary site and standby site) need to have enough RAM and processing power behind it. For instance 1GB RAM per TB of data being deduped...

Craig

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi SLY,

You can run BE as a VM on ESX, and if you're backing up to tape would need an Adaptec card. That said, as you're backing up to disk, there should be no hassles. You do need to read up on the requirements for deduplication though, so get hold of the Admin Guide and read up on that section.

Hardware needs to conform with what is required, so your hosts (both on your primary site and standby site) need to have enough RAM and processing power behind it. For instance 1GB RAM per TB of data being deduped...

Craig