cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 dedupe : how to get offsite for DR

Michael_Gray1
Level 3

Running BE2010 with dedupe.  Dedupe folder is on 3.6TB drive served up by our SAN.  I'm struggling with getting a backup to disk copy of the dedupe folder and config offsite for DR.

I made a removable Backup to Disk folder on a Seagate NAS and ran a job backing up the Dedupe folder via shadow copy components.  Job failed with the following:

Job Completion Status

Job ended: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 at 10:35:15 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65247

Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- Shadow?Copy?Components

V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

Exceptions

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Backup- Shadow?Copy?Components

WARNING: "Shadow?Copy?Components\User?Data\Backup Exec Deduplication Storage\Storage" is a corrupt f...

Verify- Shadow?Copy?Components  - VSS Writer File System

WARNING: "Storage" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Any advice on how I can get the dedupe folder and config offsite for DR?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can create a duplicate job to make a copy of the dedup folder for DR. Create a dedup storage folder on the seagate device and select that as destination for the duplicate backup job.

Note: The destination device for the duplicate job must be the same type of device from the same vendor as the device that was used in the source backup job. 

Regards...

Michael_Gray1
Level 3

Thanks for the response!

I've got two problems.

1) I don't believe I can make a 2nd dedupe folder on the same server.  At least I've tried and the software tells me that there can be only one (like the Highlander movies...) dedupe folder.

2) The backups are currently running to a local drive that is actually a LUN from our SAN.  So I can't make the 2nd destination device the same as the first.

-Michael

teiva-boy
Level 6

You cannot have 2 dedupe folders, only one per media server.

If the VSS writer is failing, this is a good case for looking to support on the issue.  BE's dedupe implementation either works or doesnt.  If it does work, it's erradic, inconsistant, and unreliable 50% of the time.

I'm hoping BE2010 R3 will fix this.  Shame on Symc for using old code of PureDisk in this product.  

Kenny-Knows-Stu
Level 4

- Create a backup to disk on the seagate

- Create a duplicate job and set it to duplicate the backup set,

- Select the deduplicated backup set and duplicate it to the backup to disk folder on seagate

- Take the Seagate back to the DR location, create a B2D pointing to you.

- Create a Deduplication folder on the DR site

- Run an inventory  and catalog of that B2D and duplicate the backup set into the deduplication folder on the  DR site

- Run the inventory of the Dedup folder at the DR site

Michael_Gray1
Level 3

Went a different direction.   Running copies of the full jobs to a NAS, in addition to the regular backup jobs to the SAN.  NAS goes offsite. 

Tested, working, done....finally.

Thanks all!