cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 for Windows SBS - B2D will not overwrite IMG folders.

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

Hi,

BE2010 SBS Suite on a SBS 2008 server. Fully patched through Live Update.

Job Setup:

5 full daily backups to network hard drives on alternate days. Job setup to Removable B2D drives.

No overwrite protection, job is set to overwrite the previous backup. Options also reflect no media overwrite protection.

Using GRT technology to backup Exchange.

Problem:

Old IMG folder are not deleted. The next time the backup runs on that drive it just creates new IMG folders until the drive is full then the backup fails and the customer moans at me that the backups fail until the old IMG folders are manually removed.

Why does BE not remove old IMG folders?

I want just 1 bkf file and 3 IMG folders (2 sql db and exch) on the drive at any 1 time for 1 days backup.

But as i stands i get infiate IMG folders and multiple bkf files.]

The 1TB drive has a max B2D file size setting on 950GB with that size allocated to the file.

The 500MB drive has a max B2D file size setting of 450GB with that size allocated to the file.

Anybody have any suggestions please?

Kind Regards

16 REPLIES 16

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check the following

Tool--Option--Media mangement

Overwrite recyclable media 1st should be selected.

For the SQL back the IMG folder is not created ,It is just created for exchange , sharepoint , AVVI and hyper v

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on Tools->Options->Media Management> select "Use recycable media before using scratch

media" Also set the B2D file size between 50-100GB.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

ah is that the problem - scratch media was selected.

So with this option selected BE will now overwrite any IMG and BKF folders it finds?

Does it matter that its alternate disks, does BE look for the previous IMG folder number it wrote?

Eg -

Mon full backup on 1TB drive writes IMG001, IMG002 and IMG003

Tue full backup on 500MB drive writes IMG004, IMG005, IMG006

Will the backup on Wed then overwrite 001,002,003 or will it look for 006 as that was the last 1 it wrote?

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

@AmolZeroCool - what is that advantage of setting the files to between 50-100GB?

Say my backup is 350GB for example - why multiple 100GB files rather than 1 say 400GB file?

Thanks for the clarity in advance

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

@RahulG - thanks for the link

"If Backup Exec runs out of disk space during a GRT-enabled backup, it deletes any expired media and continues the job."

Mine didnt do that though, it just filled the drive up and then errored with out of disk space to mark end of job.??

I have changed the recycable media setting and will now do 2 small backups to test.

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

well i changed the setting to recycable media.

Blanked 1 of my drives completely.

Did 3 test backups all of the same

Still got 3 IMG Folders! It created a new IMG folder on each of the 3 test backups and not deleted the old one!

What else can i check to get this working correctly?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No overwrite protection

Do you mean that the Global Option is set to NONE (Tools\Options\Media Management)  If so try setting i tto either PARTIAL or NONE.  I've seen some really strange behavior when NONE is selected

What is the OPP of the media set that the backup is using?  How many copies do you want to keep?  if you run the backup daily and want to keep 7 copies on disk (overwrite on the eight day), set the OPP to 7 days

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

Hi Ken - Yes Global option is set to None, and overwrite protection in the Job setup is set to None.

Options on the media set are ignored because of these 2 settings and are greyed out.

I want to keep 1 backup at a time. 2 drives - 1 backing up overnight the other at home with me.

Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure you select the option to Overwrite when the bakcup begins and not append.

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

@RahulG - Yes that option is set already.

We never had any issue when doing the exact same backup to tapes but since doing it to removable drives the issue has occured!?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What technology are your removeable drives - i.e. standard USB disk, Cartridge based (RDX, Jazz, Zip, GoVault)  etc

Reason for question is a Removable Backup to Disk folder should only be used with certain types of devices and even though the device might be unpluggable it might need a standard Backup to Disk Folder.

Oh and for reference IMG folders used to get erased only when you got close to a disk space limit - in the current versions of Backup Exec however it should look for an overwritable IMG to erase at the start of every backup set that would create an IMG (instead of waiting for a disk space condition)

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

Hi Colin,

They are Western Digital MyBookWorld network drives accessed via UNC path

Co-incidently i also have this problem on USB Tandberg RDX drives. (but they are mine, not a clients)

So either myself or the software is doing something wrong!

Andrew__Thompso
Level 4

Oh and for reference IMG folders used to get erased only when you got close to a disk space limit - in the current versions of Backup Exec however it should look for an overwritable IMG to erase at the start of every backup set that would create an IMG (instead of waiting for a disk space condition)

Thats exactly what i want it to do, but it isnt.

Real_IT_Solutio
Level 2

Solution here: http://realitsolutionsinc.com/realblog/?p=101

This worked for us hopefully this is what you are looking for.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you click on All Media, you do not see the B2D folder.  You can only see the B2D folder in the Devices tab.  If you have targeted the correct media set in your job, the resultant backup media will be associated with the targeted media set.