cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 upgrade on 32-bit with Dedupe and Data Domain

durkinr
Level 3
Looking into upgrading our media servers to BE2010, wanted to confirm a couple of items.

First, the video tutorial for dedupe says that you can use a 32-bit media server if you are using an OpenStorage disk backup device with built-in dedupe. Has anyone confiremd this? It doesn't specifically say in the online docs I have found
http://www.symantec.com/business/products/sysreq.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=57_1

Second,the Dell|EMC DD630 (Data Domain) appliance is OpenStorage compatible. In the training video they specifically select a Data Domian OpenStorage device for the doptimized dedupe appliance, and yet the documentation all lists Quantum, PureDisk and Exagrid as the supported devices. Is anyone using BE2010 dedupe with a Data Domain OpenStorage device?

Here is the link to the video I've mentioned: http://techcenter.symantec.com/ecampus/enterprise?siteName=sena&courseNo=DP6000#

Thanks,

-Rob
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
Question 1 - Yes correct, for OST you can use a 32bit OS.  However, in order to get OST, you have to buy the Dedupe option in BE2010.  So you might as well as use a 64bit OS just to take advantage of client side dedupe just in case.  No point in crippling yourself in the future if when you may need the client side dedupe.  

Question 2 - DataDomain (DD) has not been officially certified their device and BE2010.  Until the HCL is updated, you're on your own there...  The HCL is updated about every two months, and the time line for DD to finish updating their OST plug-in for BE was the "end of March."  So it should be on the HCL and working shortly me thinks...  As of today, it is ONLY the companies you mentioned that have been supported via OST for BE2010.  DD is not too far behind...  Of course you need to verify 64bit certification from DD and their plug-in as they are having an issue with that.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
Question 1 - Yes correct, for OST you can use a 32bit OS.  However, in order to get OST, you have to buy the Dedupe option in BE2010.  So you might as well as use a 64bit OS just to take advantage of client side dedupe just in case.  No point in crippling yourself in the future if when you may need the client side dedupe.  

Question 2 - DataDomain (DD) has not been officially certified their device and BE2010.  Until the HCL is updated, you're on your own there...  The HCL is updated about every two months, and the time line for DD to finish updating their OST plug-in for BE was the "end of March."  So it should be on the HCL and working shortly me thinks...  As of today, it is ONLY the companies you mentioned that have been supported via OST for BE2010.  DD is not too far behind...  Of course you need to verify 64bit certification from DD and their plug-in as they are having an issue with that.

durkinr
Level 3
Thanks for the info.

The 32-bit media servers would just be for the short-term. Eventually we would migrate to 64-bit. I agree that at some point we would want to use source-side dedupe (Also called Direct Access)  to cut down on network usage, but it is not a requirement yet, and some servers might not be good candidates for sources-side due to the processing impact.