cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010R3 - Media server could not connect to the remote computer, servers missing from selection list

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Backup jobs were running fine and all of a sudden, a bunch of my backup jobs started failing with the following error message:

"Final error: 0xe0000f02 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not exist on the selected subnet.  Try an alternative network interface, or allow Backup Exec to choose any available network interface.

Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3842"

I looked into the error message and found that if I set my jobs to "use available network interface" or as one post suggested, chose a subnet and checked the box saying "Allow use of any available network interface, subnet, or protocol for remote agents not bound to the above network interface, subnet, or protocol," my backup job would work again.

I also noticed that if I go into my selection lists to make a new backup job or change selections of an existing backup job, a good 3/4 of the servers that used to be in the list are now missing.

I can ping all the missing/failed job servers, and restarting the media server did not change anything.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You did not say whether you are using BE 2010 or BE 2012.  If you are on BE 2010 R3, make sure you have SP2 and this hotfix

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180429

2) Make sure that the clocks on the media server and remote servers are synchronised

3) Push out the remote agents again to establish trust.

4) Lastly, try this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/trust-relationship-was-not-established-between-remote-agent-and-media-server#comment-5739341

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the remote servers and check that the BE remote agent service is running.  Also, run the remote agent utility, click on the Publishing tab and make sure that it is publishing to the media server.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

My media server is listed in the Publishing tab, but when I clicked "Edit" and then hit OK again, it gave me an error saying that "The trust relationshipo between the remote agent and the media server cannot be established.  A communications failure has occured."

I can ping the media server and the name resolves correctly.  The media server can ping my remote agent as well through the proper name.

I tried to establish a trust relationship by browsing to the remote server via the selection list -> domains and right-clicking on the remote server and choosing "establish trust relationship" but nothing happens on the media server nor the remote server.

Is there a user name and password I'm suppose to provide when choosing to publish to the media server? Noticed those fields were empty.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Okay, so even more interesting. On the remote server, I went ahead and removed the trust association.  Went back to the media server and when I selected the server it asked me if I wanted to establish a trust relationship. Said yes, went back to remote server and saw that the trust was back, but the Publishing tab is still empty.

Went back to the media server, went into Favorite Servers and right-clicked on Windows system and chose to "Add a system." Typed in the address of the remote server and when I checked the remote server's Publishing tab, there are now three entries for my media server, the media server host name, FQDN of media server, and the IP address.

If I click "Edit" on any one of the three and click "OK" without changing anything, I'll still get the communication failure error and then it is removed from the list.

I very confused now... :\

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

Could you post the results of a  ipconfig /all from the media server and the remote server?

thanks,

Lenora

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You did not say whether you are using BE 2010 or BE 2012.  If you are on BE 2010 R3, make sure you have SP2 and this hotfix

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180429

2) Make sure that the clocks on the media server and remote servers are synchronised

3) Push out the remote agents again to establish trust.

4) Lastly, try this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/trust-relationship-was-not-established-between-remote-agent-and-media-server#comment-5739341

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

Hi Lenora,

Media server's IP address is:

LAN1
IP: 192.168.6.35
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.6.1
DNS: 192.168.6.5, 192.168.6.4

LAN2
IP: 192.168.6.34

Target Server:

IP: 192.168.6.10

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

I am running BE 2010 R3.  I have SP2 installed and hotfix 180429, 176937, and 191248.

** EDIT **

Just ran LiveUpdate and hotfix 194471 was just installed on the system.  Also, time on the servers are in sync.  Will attempt to remove and re-install the remote agent tomorrow morning when backups are all done running.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

After the update, I re-pushed out the agent on one of the servers to update the agent on that server.  A restart was required.  After restarting the server, the server showed up in my favorites list again.

Currently, I'm not sure if restarting the server was what did it, or if re-pushing/updating the agent did it.  Will try to restart one of the other servers to see if it'll address the issue and post back.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is probably the restart that correct the problem.  I could be that you neglected to restart the remote servers after the previous update.

Nuri_Inuki
Level 4

pkh,

Just an update to this topic so there's a resolution.  Just restarting the server did not address the issue.  However, pushing the updated agent out to the missing servers and restarting the server after that did.