cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010sbs - removable b2d - disk full

underlig
Level 3

I need help understanding why my b2d-jobs only works half of the time.

I have a HP RDX removable hdd/cartridge solution with 6x 320GB drives swapped monday-thursday and friday odd/even.

My Device-settings are:
Maximum size for b2d files: 318GB
Allocate: Disabled
Maximum number of backup sets per b2d file: 2
Low disk space threshold: 1GB
Auto detect: Enabled

To this i have a mediaset called Daily that is configured:
Overwrite protection period: None - Allow Overwrite
Appendable period: Infinite - Allow Append

My job typically uses 120GB data, that is files, systemstate and Exchange

Now my problem is that the backup only runs some of the times, the times it doesn't work it stops at 75-76GB.

No error-code, log says
Media mount failed.
User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.
V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

From what i understand my device-settings means that my b2d-file can contain two complete sets before its "full", but doesn't it then remove the old set and write a new one? Should i have a maximum size of 150GB and only allow one set per file?

Any tips?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

All jobs are intelligent enough to know not to overwrite the first media used by the same instance of the job when the job tries to span to a second media - as if they didn't observe this rule you would have a dataloss condition as an overwrite is an overwrite of the complete media we don't overwrite one session within the media at a time.

So given your media is 318GB and your job is 120GB on the 3rd job I would expect it to report media full at approximately 80GB if you are appending.

You almost certainly need to change things so that the media can only be appended to once before an overwrite occurs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

All jobs are intelligent enough to know not to overwrite the first media used by the same instance of the job when the job tries to span to a second media - as if they didn't observe this rule you would have a dataloss condition as an overwrite is an overwrite of the complete media we don't overwrite one session within the media at a time.

So given your media is 318GB and your job is 120GB on the 3rd job I would expect it to report media full at approximately 80GB if you are appending.

You almost certainly need to change things so that the media can only be appended to once before an overwrite occurs.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Any specific reason you have set  Maximum size for b2d files: 318GB? As you have specified the size as 318 gb the backup job would create only one bkf file and even when the next backup job start it would append to the same bkf file until its 318 gb. By default the vaule is 4 gb which is high you can probably set it to 50 gb or so ..

Also the in media set you have the option to Infinite append ... what this will do is when the job starts it will append the bkf file and once the bkf file as reached 318 gb it would try to create a new one as it cannot overwrite itself.

I recommend not run an append job in case of B2d .Just set the job to overwrite when it starts . also check the following seeting --Tools--Option--media management -- Make sure overwrite recyclable file is checked here .

underlig
Level 3

Thank you for your input, i'm not sure why i have the settings i have, i must have misunderstood everything about b2d.

I will try modifying the settings and see how it goes, trial and error is just hard when each modification takes 24 hours before you know if it works or not (users cannot work while backup runs and we have no spare-servers to test on, so the modifications is on the live backup).

Thanks again

Colin_Weaver

In my original answer I missed the fact that you had maximum backup sets per file set to 2. A Backup set in the context of that setting means any data on C: is one set, D: would be another set, the System State would be another set etc.

As such that setting does not mean you can run two jobs to the media as each job might contain multiple sets.

Note1: If you want to know what makes up a backup set or how many sets are in a job, open your job log and look for the Set Information outlines that surround each set (or the Job History and look for the Set Detail Information outlines) The Job Log will also show statements such as Backup Set #6 on media #2 within each set.

Note: This post has been edited by me from it's origional content as I tested how the setting was handled against the common usage of the term "Backup Set" This was after it was pointed out to me that it was confusing as "Backup Set" was being used as both eveything protected by one job and the set of data backed up from one resource with further resources in the same job.