cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012: How to include a date for job?

SG
Level 4

Hello,

I really struggle with the new Backup Exec 2012 as lot of it is not intuitive anymore... sad

Could somebody please help me with the following as I was even not able to find a solution on the manual for this (which took me only 10 seconds on previous Backup Exec versions):

I created a new backup job to backup my file server:

Now I want (only) the "Full" backup to run already tomorrow at 09.00 instead of starting on the 13.05. at 09.00, means I want to include a special on-time date but only for the "Full" backup, not for the others ("Incremental", "Monthly"...).

How can I schedule this without having the main schedule "Every 1 week on (Sonntag) at 9:00" changed?

In previous Backup Exec versions this was very easy within the options of the job via the calendar there ("Include/Exclude date"). But no clue how to do this with BE2012. With the BE2012 calendar I can only exclude all backup jobs for a day which is not helpful in my case.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
 SG

-------

HELLO!! ANY NEWS ON THIS? THIS POST IS NOW MORE THAN 1,5 YEARS OLD! SYMANTEC.... WHAT'S GOING ON??

------

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot add another "special" day to the Full backup.  What you can do is right-click on the Full backup and say Run Now.

Otherwise, schedule the Full job to on Wed.  This means that it will run today and the next run would be next Wed.   Tomorrow, you change the schedule to run on Sunday.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can submit a one-time backup job.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

It doesnt have the include/exclude date in BE 2012.

You can configure a separate job which runs one time OR do "run now" whenever you want to run the job.

SG
Level 4

But this would be a separate Backup Job and wouldn't help me, as the following INCREMENTAL Jobs scheduled in my main backup job wouldn't run before the first FULL backup scheduled in this Job run...

So I "simply" want to add another on-time date for the FULL backup, so that the INCREMENTAL job recognizes that the FULL backup already run...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot add another "special" day to the Full backup.  What you can do is right-click on the Full backup and say Run Now.

Otherwise, schedule the Full job to on Wed.  This means that it will run today and the next run would be next Wed.   Tomorrow, you change the schedule to run on Sunday.

SG
Level 4

Thanks, I was afraid of it. This is a step backwards within Backup Exec... no

Derek_Jackson
Not applicable

I have exactly the same problem as SG and agree that this is a step backwards.no

Because of another problem that worked fine in previous versionsbut seems broken in 2012  (tape compression), I have had to restart my full / incremental job pair again in the middle of the week. Normally the full backup is run on Monday night and incrementals the rest of the week.

So I want to kick off the full backup tonight at its scheduled time and skip tonight’s incremental. I can set an exclude date for the incremental OK but when I set an include for the full backup it just re-enables the incremental. I DO NOT WANT TO RUN THE JOB NOW as it will slow the server down while people are in work and I’m not going to come in at stupid o’clock tonight when everyone’s gone home.

This was SO EASY in previous versions but is IMPOSSIBLE in this version. sad

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Hello SG and 560606966,

I'm a usability engineer working on BE. I'd love to chat with you both regarding how you would like to see including an additional "run" of a backup job in BE.

If you have time, please click here to schedule up some time for us to talk about this. BTW, this invitation is open to anyone reading this post.  I'd love to hear how our customers would like this to work.

Best regards,

Elizabeth

SG
Level 4

Hi Elizabeth,

The answer is quite simple and sometimes a picture says more than 1000 words...

The "Advanced Scheduling Options" which were included in older Backup Exec Versions was perfect. You could quickly add additional backup dates or simply exclude dates.

This is exactly what we would like to have back in Backup Exec 2012...

Best regards,
 SG

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Hi SG!

The only problem I have with your suggestion is that scheduling in BE 2012 doesn't look like that anymore. Here is a screen shot of what scheduling looks like in the current version.

So, where in the new UI would you add this in?  Also, I'm interested if folks want to add in extra dates in other ways, for various reasons.  I'm want to make sure I get a clear picture of what users want.

I have had 2 folks take me up on my offer and scheduled up some time with me. I'm hoping you are one of them! :)

BTW, keep the feedback coming!!

Regards... Elizabeth

thod
Not applicable

I totally agree with SG. We are missing the functionality of excluding dates for single jobs as well. At the moment I am creating a new backup concept for our company using Backup Exec 2012. One standard in our backup strategy was (and this we wouold like to keep, because it makes sense):

• daily backup: mon-thu
  • weekly backup: fri
  • monthly backup: last day of the month, no other backup jobs on this day

It is possible to open the calendar and to exclude dates, but only for ALL jobs on this day!!!

In my opinion this is a step back frown

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

We have heard a lot of feedback from users that not having a per job exclude is frustrating, and we are currently working on putting that capability back in the product.

I know what your next question is – When?  Unfortunately, I don't have a better answer then soon. I wish I had a better timeframe to give you. As soon as I do have more information, I'll post it back here.

Regards... Elizabeth

awhagen
Not applicable

Looking forward to getting this functionality back.

I think it could easily be added to the calendar (the month view that thod posted above).

Currently you can right-click to exclude dates. Just add an option to right-click include dates.

Thank you and good luck.

TomBlue
Not applicable

The lack of creating additional dates is an absolute no-go for a backup software product. There's no chance with the new version to exclude public holidays (because nobody can change tapes, soory I do not have a changer), and schedule this backup one week later. Now I have to start this backup manually using "Run now" function, just because there no more include days available.

I'm really happy that I did not decide for BEX to do B2D of our virtual machines. And, if I had recognized that this simple feature lacks in new version, I had not purchased this version too.

Hope that "soon" (see last comment of Elisabeth) is in the near future.