cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BERemote.exe Memory Leak

Geoff_Cole
Level 2
We have noticed a memory leak in BERemote.exe on our Exchange server.  I originally thought this issue may be solved when upgraded to 11D build 7170 from 11D 6235.  This was not the case - the problem is still there.  Currently,  I have to stop and start the Backup Exec Remote Agent service twice a week to prevent the pagefile hitting 4GB.
2 REPLIES 2

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Geoff

There is a known issue of high CPU and memory utilization in BESERVER.EXE under these circumstances:
 -- Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Servers was installed on the server in the past.
 -- Server is Windows 2000, Domain controller.
 -- BESERVER.EXE is the source of the high CPU utilization
This may happen if the directory "Temporary ASP.NET Files" does not exist in the .NET Framework install directory. Creating this directory allows CSC.exe to function properly on which .NET Framework relies which in turn is used by Beserver.exe
To resolve the problem,
  1. Create a folder named "Temporary ASP.NET Files" in
     C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
  2. Another folder named CRF will be created under this .
  3. If Temporary ASP.NET Files already exist, delete the contents of Temporary ASP.NET Files.
You may want to check out this TechNotes which provides a workaround for the problem if your Exchange server is Windows 2003.
Beremote.exe may take an excessive amount of memory on the Exchange server while running Granular Restore Technology (GRT) enabled backups to tape.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289695.htm

Geoff_Cole
Level 2
Thanks.  As our Exchange box is using the GRT backups I will keep stopping and starting the BE service and wait for the hotfix mentioned in the support article.  Do you have any idea when a fix will be released?