cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 11d 7170 hanging backing up Exchange or SQL database archive

StevensAJ
Level 2
Hello,

I've gone through 2 servers, reinstalled BEWS, Exchange, etc.

Anyway, rather than write out the whole lot, I'll give a summary.

BEWS was able to backup our new Exchange 2003 server, with empty databases.
BEWS was able to backup our SQL Server 2005 Database containing GFI MailArchiver of emails for 2007 AFTER 21st August 2007 (date we installed GFI).

BEWS would not backup our old (current at the time) Exchange 2003 server, it had a rapidly growing database and transaction log files. The Priv grew to 19GB (we've altered our Exchange limit to 75GB as per SP2), however at first it was only about 8 or so GB.

At the time, it was also the file server with roaming profiles, when the backup ran it would hang on backing up the Information Store, and the server would be unresponsive, forcing a physical reboot to get it working again. Also originally BEWS was on this server. We've moved BEWS to it's own server, didn't correct the problem.

While the server was unresponsive, no one could login (roaming profiles), so caused a right problem.

After rebooting the exchange information store was corrupt and had to be replaced with a copy.

So, we had to do offline backups of exchange (xcopy to another location), and the transaction log files grew to 35GB.

I tried using NT backup on that server to backup exchange, but also didn't have much luck .

I was hoping the move to the new Exchange would resolve the problem.

Now... two things have occured, and BEWS doesn't like it.

1. A couple of days ago, I imported into the SQL database using GFI's tools, all emails for 2007 pre 21st August 2007, it grew to about 7.5GB in size. Since then BEWS hangs, I believe on a consistency. However, using SQL 2005 Maintenaince Plan, I'm able to perform a check and a backup with no problem.

Something between 1st Jan 2007 and 21st August 2007, either an email or attachment must be upsetting BEWS?!

2. After moving all our mailboxes to the new Exchange server, it now also hangs trying to back it up, lucky restarting this server this morning, the information store Dbs mounted without a problem. Not sure if that's because it's a better server or dumb luck.

Now, I need to find out what is causing BEWS to hang, it's something in Exchange between those dates, and persumably it's also affecting the SQL backup as well.

For now I've had to exclude that particular SQL db (others backup fine, 2006, 2005, and other apps dbs), rely on the maintenaince plan, and exclude information store from BEWS backup and back to doing manual copies.

But the Transaction Log files will continue to build again.

Help!

Message Edited by StevensAJ on 10-19-2007 04:23 AM
1 REPLY 1

StevensAJ
Level 2
I've done a search using a 3rd party product, and found some odd attachments with really long names and special characters to some emails.
I checked in the mailbox, and some of these were just emails with fancy HTML contents, or emails where users have pasted in part of a website.

Not really sure it'll help, but I've moved them out to a seperate PST file, and will try backing up again.

I may also try disabling verification on the backup job.