cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 9.1 Rev. 4691: Unable to attach to remote server drives

Steven_Caguioa
Not applicable
BEWS 9.1 Rev.4691, W2K3

Since the installation of MSDE onto a remote server (via a 3rd party software), I have not been able to backup the same. Remote Agent is installed on the remote server and the backup job is set to attach to the servers' drives (I dont' use Default or User shares for backup)

Below is the error from the job log:

OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\RemoteServer\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Yes.
OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffe1f): The device cannot be found.
Unable to attach to \\RemoteServer\L:.
Unable to attach to \\RemoteServer\L:.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
13 REPLIES 13

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the RemoteAgent service running on the remote server?
Can you still ping both ways by both IP address and Machine Name?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steven_Caguioa_
Level 3
Ken,
From the remote server in question, I am able to ping the media server. From the media server, I am able to ping the remote server. Both instances, I ping both IP and hostname.

On the remote server, Remote Agent is installed and it's service started. FYI, I have uninstalled and reinstalled RA in the unsuccessful effort to resolve.

In addition, I have another remote server with RA installed. The media server detects and attaches to this server's hard drives without issue. Because this remote server is within the same AD OU and same subnet as the remote server in question, I do not suspect a firewall or routing issue.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

This error could also occur if user shares or System created shares of a remote machine are selected for backup using AOFO.

Make sure AOFO licnese is registered on the media server for the remote server incase you want to back up this server with AOFO option.

Additionally refer this technote:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263317.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steven_Caguioa_
Level 3
Prior to this failure, the media server did not use the User or Default/System shares to backup; instead the media server would attach to the drives of the server.

FYI,
When I navigate within the Backup Selection List and expand the remote server, I am not prompted to authenticate (unlike a different server which is fully accessible by the media server). In addition, 20-30 secs pass before the media server can display the contents (this is not the case on the other accessible server) . Finally, only the User and Default shares are listed on the server; no drives are listed.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please uninstall the remote agent and re-install it to re-register the dll files that may be shared with the newer application.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Steven_Caguioa_
Level 3
I have already done this.

In order:
1) Uninstalled the 3rd party software (unsure if MSDE uninstalled as well)
2) Uninstalled the Remote Agent
3) Rebooted the server
4) Installed the 3rd party software (MSDE automatically installs)
5) Installed Remote Agent via push from the media server

Any further suggestions is greatly appreciated.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Verify that the Raws service is running under local system account on the media as well as the remote server.

In the host file of the media server add the ip address and the server name of the remote server and vis versa.

Check if port 10,000 is open on the media as well as the remote server

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Steven_Caguioa_
Level 3
RAWS is running under local system account on media and remote server.

Good idea about the HOSTS file...never thought about that. I will make these changes and advise.

Port 10,000 is ESTABLISHED between the media and remote server

Regards,
Steve

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Are you trying to back up BE MSDE?
This issue could occur if you have selected the BKUPEXEC instance for backup Make sure that you have not selected MSDE SQL instance of Backup Exec (BKUPEXEC) in the backup job. This database gets backed up automatically during the Backup Exec's database maintenance process. The same should also not be selected under the "Shadow Copy Components" | "User Data.

If this is not the case, create a new job and for test purpose disable AOFO and rerun the job.

Steven_Caguioa_
Level 3
I do not have the option to enable SQL backup or AOFO backup (We never purchased licensing for either).

I have deleted and re-created the backup job and selection list multiple times - still the problem remains.

When selecting the remote server, contents are slow to list (30-40 seconds) within the 'Backup Selection Lists'. Once the contents list, only the Default Shares and User Shares appear - the volumes are no longer available for selection.

Although not the preferred method, I have re-directed the 'Backup Selection Lists' to pull data from the User Shares. When doing so, I get 'Unable to initialize Remote Agent' messages.

This issue did not appear until the installation of MSDE onto the remote server. I strongly believe MSDE and RANT32 are at conflict.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled RANT32 numerous times - via BE remote install and by copying RANT32 then manually installing into the remote server. I have also uninstall previous install of RANT32 as well; still the problem remains.

FYI, I am able to fully access and backup another remote server within the 'Default Network' / subnet. This indicates to me that this is not firewall issue.

Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Steve Caguioa

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Steven,

Sorry for the late reply but i would like to know if the problem still persists ?

Kindly update.

Regards

Steven_Caguioa_
Level 3
All previously posted suggestions did not resolve and the issue remains.