Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS and NDMP

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

I have a the following topologye
1 BE Media Server 12.5 connected to 2 tapes drive in a library.
The library has physically 3 drives.
I connected the other drive to an NDMP device (NetApp Filer).

BE see this drive as "MISSING" in the library. This drive is seen as stndalone drive directly attached to my filer.
This is not correct, since  this drive is in the library.

Is there a way to correct it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

There is a little limitation on BE for my configuration
To make it work the BE Media Server  needed to be connected to the library arm (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321699.htm)

So the working configuration is as follow :
  • 2 SAS drive attached directly to the BE server
  • the FC drive has been set up handle robotic arm control path (it's a OVERLAND ARCVAULT 48)
  • NetApp Filers and BE Media server are connected to the FC drive.

So now it's working ! What I used to do with other backup software (i.e : like NBU ...) is not applicable to BE ...

I hope this will help others guy :)

ElGringo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi ElGringo,

What is your licensing like? BEWS 12.5 will ship with a license for 1 drive. For every other drive, you need to load a license.
In your case then, you'd have 1 free (with your software), and will need to purchase 2 more. This could be the reason why BEWS doesn't see your drives correctly.

Hope this helps!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
If you Have the proper licensed in place .. Run the device configuration wizard . make sure you install the Symantec drivers . More on with backup exec 12.5 using the NDMP option you can backup your netapp server to the drive connected physically to the backup server or even can run the backup to backup disk folder . 
  make sure the device is configured properly w.r.t hardware ...

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
As you said you have 3 drives in the library then you need to do the following configuration for NDMP backup
  1. Physically partition the library and assign 1 drive and some slots to it. To partition the library, use library's control pannel available on library
  2. Check the licenses (NDMP - 1nos & Library Expansion Option - 2 nos)
  3. Physically attach partitioned drive to NetApp filer using FC cable
  4. Configure root authentication in the backup exec
  5. Check that port no. 10,000 is opened visa-versa. If port 10,000 is not NDMP port then define exacct NDMP port in the networks file in backup server. This file is available at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Please check and revet back

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hello,

There is a little limitation on BE for my configuration
To make it work the BE Media Server  needed to be connected to the library arm (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321699.htm)

So the working configuration is as follow :
  • 2 SAS drive attached directly to the BE server
  • the FC drive has been set up handle robotic arm control path (it's a OVERLAND ARCVAULT 48)
  • NetApp Filers and BE Media server are connected to the FC drive.

So now it's working ! What I used to do with other backup software (i.e : like NBU ...) is not applicable to BE ...

I hope this will help others guy :)

ElGringo