cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS10 and Buffalo Terastation problems

David_Gardner
Level 2
We recently had a SCSI Raid box fail and as the host pc was old it has been replaced by a Buffalo 1.6TB Terastation.

We have BE 10.0 on Windows 2003 Server, with a Quantum LTO 2 valueloader which has 1.2TB Storagecapacity (native).

I wish to backup the Terastation with Veritas. I have added the share on to the selections list as a remote selection.

However when the backup runs I get the following errors in the logs.

Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
Final error category: Job Errors

Backup- DMSNASThe Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine DMSNAS.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.

Unable to initialize Remote Agent
Backup- \\NAS\Directory MISC\Misc_2\\Goodies\ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.

I have looked at veritas support docs relating to this error but none seem to apply apart from the suggestion to remove the selections from the backup.

however this isnt an option as the Data is operation critical.

thanks

David
12 REPLIES 12

David_Gardner
Level 2
^^ This is really urgent, can anyone offer some help on this

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

-- Can you see the device as a drive in Windows?

If yes, then you can create removable Backup to Disk folder on it and target the backups to them

Please refer to the following technote for further information:

How to create a new removable Backup-to-Disk folder in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253764

-- Also let us know whether the device is connected to the server using USB or is it directly connected to the Switch only? Does it have its own File System and IP address?

=========================

Additional Information :

For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved toanswered questions pool.

David_Gardner
Level 2
Sorry I think you have got the wrong end of the stick, I do not wish to back items up on to the TeraStation.

I wish to backup the data on the TeraStation to my Tape drive

The device is only connected via the Network, and it uses what ever File system Buffalo have set it up to use which I think is XFS what ever that is.

Terastation has TCP/IP and AppleShare protocols enabled.Message was edited by:
David Gardner

Steve_O_2
Level 4
If there is a way to install the unix agent onto the device then I would try that first.

XFS file system I believe is not even supported with the Unix agent.

Make sure that the you have a account on the Buffalo device that matches the same username/pass as the Backup Exec services.

Make sure the share have the proper permission.

Try a user defined selection by just the device name, not devicename/sharename. Try a user defined selection by IP

David_Gardner
Level 2
The Terastation is completely "locked down" as far as installing a unix agent and I have no chance of installing any agents. I have tried setting up user defined selections but device name, but not IP.

Whe this is done I get backups of the majority of the data but there are a few folders as listed in the orignal message that dont seem to back up.

All the data has orignally come from and it being used by Apple Mac's. Could it be that some of the file names contain illegal characters as far as Veritas and Windows is concerened hence the fact that it is not backing them up.

Cheers

David

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

- What is the OS (operating system) installed on NAS device(is it emulated?) ?

- If NAS device has unix installed, remote agent does not need to be and cannot be installed on the UNIX-based SNAP server.
The selections for the SNAP server backup are created through user-defined selections.
- How to create a user-defined selection in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254193.htm

- It is recommended to separate the SNAP server into its own backup job, so that the final job status will not affect any other backup operations.

- Please refer to the following technotes:
- A backup of a UNIX-based SNAP server lists an "Unable to initialize Remote Agent" error.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271106.htm

Title: Network Attached Storage appliance compatibility with Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237737.htm

- Try backing up this server using User defines selections created by adding IP address!

- Are the files on which backup fails, have long name or what illegal characters do they have?

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Dave_Hope
Level 3
I'm seeing similar problems with our Buffalo Terrastation.

BackupExec sees the device and its smb shares in "Remote Selections".

Using the "Resource Credentials" tester, the device itself fails with:

"Failire: The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows servers is not installed on the remote computer ..."

However the share to be backed up (IMMNAS\Users) passes the test. When the backup job runs, it fails with:

"Backup- IMMNAS
The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine IMMNAS.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent"

Since the remote agent cannot be installed on this device, how would i go about making BackupExec ignore the device itself, and just backup the share as specified ?

Thanks,

Dave Hope.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You could create a User Defined Share using the IP of the TerraStation

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Ken, I've tried also that and it failed (but I may have given up too early).
As the Terrastation has inferior performance, it is not used very much any more.

Update: I've just seen in my Catalogs that I've backup up a folder from the Terra Station at least once successfully.

greetings
Peter

Dave_Hope
Level 3
I had tried adding it by hostname previously which allowed the backup to complete. I've now added it by IP, however it still returns a failed stuatus when trying to contact the remote agent. Is there a way to prevent this ?

Rob_Rowald
Level 2
So did any real answer of come of this or did anyone figure it out because I am stuck at this point

Matt_James
Level 3
Is there any update on this issue ? I have the same problem with a 1TB Terastation ... the backup appears to fail but a search of the catalogue indicates files have been backed up although the archive bit on the files on the Terastation remain unchanged.