cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS9.1 and Linux agent issues...

Gord_Armstrong
Level 3
Hello to all...

I have an install of BE9.1 for Windows. I currently backup 20 Windows based servers without issue.

I am in the process of setting up 4 new Red Hat Linux ES 4 servers. I have installed the agent on them.

I can 'see' the servers and published folders (/srv) under Remote Selections\Unix Agents and can create a selection list from them using a pw specified in the config file.

However, when trying to run a job for these new servers, I get the message that BE could not connect to the Remote Agent, and to verify the Agent is running.

Error: a000846b, The job failed with the following error:
Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent for Windows Servers.
Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer.

I didn't install to the /ETC folder as listed in the Install docs, is this a show stopper? As the agent runs as a Daemon it should not(?)

If anyone can provide any ideas, thoughts, comments, etc, that would be much appriciated.

Thanks.

G.
9 REPLIES 9

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Gord,

Are you backing them up using the root account?

Gord_Armstrong
Level 3
No I'm not currently using the root account.

I will try that on the BE media server side, should I edit the config files on the linux servers themselves to reflect that?

Thanks. Please keep the ideas coming.

G.

Gord_Armstrong
Level 3
So just changing the logon credential on the BE media server didn't help, i'll have to edit the config files on the server and try that.

Thanks

G.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please ensure following before backup starts.

A) Appropriate entries have been made in the hosts file on the media server
and linux system.

B) The agent.be is Running (usually located in /etc/bkupexec/agent.be)

C) The agent.cfg file is properly configured (agent.cfg is normally located under /etc/bkupexec/agent.cfg)

A typical agent.cfg file entries would look like (open it in a text editor and check the last lines)

name "HOSTNAME"

export / as root

tell "BACKUP_EXEC_SERVER_NAME"

tell_interval 10

exclude-dir /dev

exclude-dir /proc

If problem still persists then please follow the steps given below.

Restart the Linux agent manually.

A. Go to the /etc/bkupexec directory by typing "cd /etc/bkupexec".

B. Type "./agent.be &" ("&" means run it in the background).

C. Ping linux system from media server and check you can ping by host name
and IP address as well.

D. Try backing up Linux system

Thank You,

Shweta

Gord_Armstrong
Level 3
Still the same nonsense...

I can see my exported folders in my selection list but jobs immediately fail saying they couldn't connect, make sure the agent is running.

If the agent wasn't running theny i wouldn't see the exported folders in the selection list.

does the agent auto use 'root'? how does the agent get permissions on the server?

Christer_sundqv
Level 4
Hello gord and all others

Nice to see im not the only one having trouble with the linux agent

i have exactly the same error as you describe only im on 10d, i can ping my linux and media server , the agent is installed as it should be .

On the media server i can browse my linux es and check the files im going to backup but when the job starts it only takes 5 sec then i failes with the following
text.

Error category : Resource ErrorsError : e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

the agents i have tested is be_agnt_269803 and nls_agnt_262592 but the look kinda the same when installed they bot have the same version 5.01 rev 5.046
and the both generate the same error in backupexec ..

Regards

Christer

Gord_Armstrong
Level 3
Veritas/Symantec....

Can you please explain how the agent gets permissions?

I know there's a pw entry that can go in the agent.cfg file, but is there a user name required/used?

Is there a file used for debug purposes? The agent.log file doesn't seem to have that kind of info.

Anyone else?

Christer, I take it you didn't purchase the 'full' Linux agent and that's why you are trying out the 'legacy' agent?

Also, we too are noticing that the different legacy agents seem to actually be all the same.

Thanks.

G.

Christer_sundqv
Level 4
Hi !

finally we have got it to work i now have 4 linux servers running be agent .
3 machines on a dmz firewalled 1 on the internal lan

Some tips along the way

the agent is using the root accont , in our case we first connected to the agent with no password "leave the field password blank in the agent.cfg" that worked.

delete all acconts that has with root in the media server and make a new ones
when u browse it and it wants an log accont

make shure the host file has servername hostname ip adress

10.3.0.23 teckla.boden.se teckla

hopefully u can get it to werk

Regards

Christer S

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Gord,

Please let us know if you have tried Christer�s suggestions. Keep us posted on that !