cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK12 Licensing with System Recovery Option

Eric_in_MB
Level 2
Partner
Someone posted in the BESRO forum but never received an answer.  In past licensing years, options were a single purchase option and agents were "per device" options.  If for instance someone had 12 servers and wanted to use the BESRO option for all 12 servers, they would only need to puchase 1 BESRO Option license and also 12 Windows Agents correct?

Thanks for any input.

Eric
6 REPLIES 6

BigQ
Level 4
I do not know why they call it an option when it is really a complete software install that needs to be installed or pushed out to each server . It is not like other options where you just enter a license key into BE. So you would need a license for each server. here is a link that explains the install process.

I was confused at first also as to why it is called an option when it is more like a "lite" version of the system recovery.

They must have a reason...right?Smiley Wink

Eric_in_MB
Level 2
Partner

Thank you for the response but thelink you sent only discusses installing it to the media server (the backupexec server) and does not state anything at all about the servers your protecting.  Very "evasive" to be honest.  No where at all does the Symantec site for BESRO indicate any licensing requirements or guidelines.  It's almost as if THEY don't know.

Symantec Sales Support pushed me to this site for answers but yet it appears no one from Symantec maintains or monitors the questions... interesting.  I've love Symantec products for years but support (even in pre-sales) has gotten very discouraging.

If anyone KNOWS exactly what is and isn't allowed with the Option I'm sure many of us would appreciate it.

I appreciate your response as well.

Eric

adpwl1
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

I can't explain why we call it an option and then require it to be installed on every server you want to protect.  Pretty much this is BESR but just stripped down.  You manage it on a per server basis and does not tie into the BE console or BESR Manager.  If you want to use the BESR Manager, you have to opt for the full blown BESR.

Includes Key Functionality
– Dissimilar Hardware Recovery In Minutes (RestoreAnyware)
– P2V/V2P Virtual Conversion
– Customizable Symantec Recovery Disk

• Does Not Include The Following
– Offsite Copy Functionality
– Incremental Recovery Points
– Google Desktop or BE Retrieve Integration
– Event-driven Recovery Points
– Centralized Management
– LightsOut Restore

Eric_in_MB
Level 2
Partner

Thank you for the information.  So it installs to each server (ie. license for each).  How does it actually back up then?  Does it backup to the media server so it can be put on tape?  Does it offload to a big file and then you have to copy to DVD or SAN?  The idea on the website for the product is it is an option to BEWS so you get the impression it integrates in some fashion, at least in a way to dump the image to the backup server.  If there is a real readme or admin manual can you point me to it to review?  Were interested in the option for our systems but there seems to be some large descreptancies on how it is used.  I guess what I want to know is how do I image a server and have that image sitting somewhere else so when the server explodes or we have a hurricane, how can I restore it to another server or virtual instance. 

Thanks for the response.

adpwl1
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Like it was stated before, I don't know why its called an option when there is really no tie in to BE at all.  This does not backup to a BE Media server.  I will backup to a drive, any drive letter, that the server with the BESRO is installed on.  If you have ever used the standard BESR, this work just like it, with the features missing that I stated earlyier.

kweiss
Level 2
I'm still a bit confused.  Using fileconnect, entering in the serial number for BESRO gives you the entire BEWS 12.0 package, that doesn't seem right.   Sounds like there is a separate product BESR (the lite version) to install on the server you want to protect with SR.   How do I get the BESR product?