cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 2014 CAS - Change catalog mode

Codders
Level 4

Hi, I'm hoping someone here has seen this issue and can help me out?

We have three new BUE 2014 servers (v-ray edition): One is the CAS server (virtual) ; the other two are setup as MMS servers (physical).  The intention is to backup to the first MMS server and then duplicate to the second MMS server (which will be moved to an offsite location connected by 1Gbps fibre).

The catalog mode is currently set to Central Admin Server (Centralised)

From a DR perspective I'd like the catalogs to be replicated to the second server and from what I've read and also discussed with the tech engineers at Symantec, the best option is to change the mode to Central Admin Server (Replicated).

The problem however is that I cannot change the location - it's greyed out.

The tech engineers have looked and thus far updated a reg key to change the catalog mode.  However, it hasn't made any difference, the UI still shows the mode as Centralised - unfortunately I'm still waiting on the tech team to call me back(they ran out of ideas).

Does anyone have any ideas? I can, if need be, completely wipe and start over.

Thanks in advance.

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Was the option "Unrestricted access to catalogs"  selected or deselected during the MMS install ?

When allow unresticted access to catalogs is selected, then the UI does not give the option to change the catalog location (like in your case)

When this option is deslected, then you can change the catalog location for the MMS server. cCinstall of the MMS server and during the repair install, deselect this option. Once the install completes, you should be able to change the catalog location.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6

Was the option "Unrestricted access to catalogs"  selected or deselected during the MMS install ?

When allow unresticted access to catalogs is selected, then the UI does not give the option to change the catalog location (like in your case)

When this option is deslected, then you can change the catalog location for the MMS server. cCinstall of the MMS server and during the repair install, deselect this option. Once the install completes, you should be able to change the catalog location.

Codders
Level 4

Hi VJware....thanks for the info.

Does this option imply that the catalog's are also stored locally AND sent to the CAS?

The reason we have seperated our CAS and why I was looking for the Central Administration (Replicated) option is because I'm told this is the best option for DR purposes, especially in the event that the CAS server is unavailable.

VJware
Level 6

Replicated is indeed a preferred option when the CAS server isn't available. And yes, replicated also implies the catalogs are stored on the MMS and the CAS as well.

Codders
Level 4

Once againVJware, thanks.

One last query about this if I may.

We opted to create a seperate CAS within VMware because it's simple to backup and easy to restore.  Might sound crazy but we were thinking of backing up the CAS server using other technology (such Unitrends/Veeam free versions) purely because we've been led to believe that the conversion process from MMS to CAS can be a bit of an unknown and as such recommended it stay as a seperate server.  I note the tech whitepapers suggest the best place for CAS is actually on the MMS server at the DR site.

...might sound like newby questions here, but as we're only just at the cusp of converting from Veeam to Symantec environment I wanted to make sure we set off in the right direction!

Thanks again

Danny

Codders
Level 4

Once again VJware, thanks.

I have one last query about this if I may.

We kept our CAS seperate and in a virtual environment out of concerns that the process to convert MMS to CAS can be a bit of an unknown, recommendations made to us (I'll keep the source to myself!) were to keep the CAS seperate and consider backing up via third party tools such as the free version of Veeam or Unitrends.  Sounds a little crazy I know, but in the event of a disaster I'd like to know that our dependancy on catalog's being available does not result in hours of head scratching and worrying if our data is actually available to restore.

And so my last query is this.  Do you recommend I start over, and confgure the CAS option to be installed on the MMS server at the DR site, with both MMS installs having the unrestricted access to catalogs deselected and opting to have catalogs in replicated mode?  Both sites are conected by 1Gbps fibre.  Would a failure at the DR site affect daily backup operations?

Thanks,

Danny

VJware
Level 6

There is no need to reconfigure the CASO at the DR site (where the existing MMS resides), though you may consider making the MMS at the DR site centrally managed rather than locally managed. I would say it depends upon your usage of the CASO server such as monitoring, job delegation, centralized restore etc And, I believe the recommendation for the CASO @ the DR site arises when DeDupe storages are used.

Have a look @ these 2 KBs which explains a bit more about unrestricted access and catalogs ~

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99549

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99086

Codders
Level 4

Fantastic - VJware, thanks for yopur assistance.