Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 to 2014 upgrade with expired licenses

atoc33
Level 2

Hello there!

Just need a help with technical question about Backup Exec 2012 to 2014 upgrade

Here's a situation:

1. Production infrastructure with Backup Exec 2012 (3 servers in managed mode) running about 200 backups

2. License has expired about 2 weeks ago, acquiring process for new license in on the way, but it will take about a month. 

3. Only possible window for the upgrade will be available in 10 days, and there's no way license can be delivered by that time. 

Question: Is it safe to upgrade Backup Exec 2012 with expired license to 2014 trial, and apply the license later?

Will really appreciate any info.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can always upgrade without entering the license keys. This will put the product into an "eval" mode with complete functionality for about 60 days. And once, you receive the upgraded licenses, you can add them then.

atoc33
Level 2

Thanks alot!

This match my tests resaults on upgrade to trial license, but since this is big production infrastructure I want to minimise any possibility of unpredictable resaults as much as I can

Have a good day!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When you say you existing licences have expired are you running Backup Exec 2012 in evalution mode as well or are you only talking about the maintenance license being expired?

If only talking about the maintenance then these do not stop you running backups, in fact you do not even have to enter maintenance licences into your installation as all they do is provide the count down for expiry and a warning when expired. Backup Exec product licenses do not expire and it is these that are needed to run backups.

Note: you do need to keep mainteneance licenses up to date to be eligible for upgrade license to newer versions

atoc33
Level 2

Thanks for your reply

I'm sorry for being unclear about license type. You are right, Backup Exec is fully licensed and stil up and running normally, just support license has expired.