cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back UPs scheduled but not completed

jon1
Level 2
THe problem that I am having is that a job is scheduled and starts at the right time but, instead of being finished in about 5 hours per usual the job status will enter into a verify or loading cycle and will kick the tape out and never finish the job. This is after a rash of failed jobs with errors like "can not mark media" and "unable to load all the selected scripts information." I have tried restarting the server, stopping and restarting the services for backup exec, and deleting and recreating the scheduled backup jobs, and renaming the scripts.uni file to scripts.old but nothing has worked. It still wont finish the job. As of today last nights backup job has been turned into a "verify" job with a status of loading now for over 18 hours. IF i put the tape into the drive for tonights scheduled job it kicks it back out to me and the tape drive beeps or chirps every ten minutes or so. I have checked to see that no devices or servers are in a paused state under the device tab but I am at loss as to what to do. The only thing that we are figuring to do next is to replace the tape drive itself. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2

jon1
Level 2
In follow up; we have changed out the old tape drive for a new one and the result is that the machine says that the first backup job scheduled for 2/27/05 at 8:00 pm ran and is in a loading media state. The log file for this acitve job states that the job was completed at 8:20 pm the same evening. The tape is kicked out of the machine and the drive beeps every ten minutes or so. The job elapsed time has a total time shown of over 12 hours and 34 minutes. The timer changes every three seconds but the elapsed time jives witht the current time and the time that the active job log says that the job completed. I just want to know why the machine wont mark this job as completed?

jon1
Level 2
Just to update. I installed a new tape drive and thought that this would help the problem. It did help but didn't totally resolve the issues. What we found then was that we needed to go to DDS 4 tapes and a newer drive that could handle them from the old drive and the DDS 3 tapes. Part of the problem was a faulty device and part of it was that there wasn't enough space on the DDS 3 tapes. Simply changing the tape out and using two tapes per back-up job would have been too complicated for the on site computer guy that changes out these tapes every morning.