cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up File name???

nickfoster
Level 4
 Hi All,
I created some backup jobs that get written to an external harddrive rather than a tape drive. Is there a way to name the file that get written to disk? Right now it get a default name B2D000005.bkf or something similar. I dont see a place to select the file name. Does any one know if there is a place to edit it or specify a name?

NICK
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Correct - You aren't actually renaming the file, you are renaming the tape name (ie. a bkf file is a tape to backup exec) It doesn't matter whether you are using a tape or a backup to disk file - renaming on both will do the same thing.

And just so you know, you can acutally restore from the bkf files written with backup exec with the native windows backup program.

Brian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Nick,

You can rename the media in the media view - don't re-label, rename.
Next time the backup overwrites the media, it will keep that name as well.

Brian

nickfoster
Level 4
 I'm using Backup exec 8.6, under the media tab i see the User Media Set and in there are all the backups. When i select the backup job and click rename, it comes up with "Enter new name of Media Label" is that wrong? I dont see any other place to change the name.

NICK

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Not relabel, rename  its like renaming a file in windows.
a rename is not a job - just a rename of the tape itself - it won't affect anything on the tape.

Brian

nickfoster
Level 4
 Brian,
I'm NOT using a tape drive. I'm using an external hard drive.
When the job runs it puts a file on the harddrive called B2D000007.bkf, so what your saying is i go to the media tab and rename this file to what ever i want?

NICK

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Correct - You aren't actually renaming the file, you are renaming the tape name (ie. a bkf file is a tape to backup exec) It doesn't matter whether you are using a tape or a backup to disk file - renaming on both will do the same thing.

And just so you know, you can acutally restore from the bkf files written with backup exec with the native windows backup program.

Brian