Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up Data on DataCore SanMelody

HolgerMu
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hey Folks,

I am faced with the challenge to do a LAN Free Backup with a DataCore SAN.

Anyone has any suggestions on how to do that. Cabling - Zoning on the Switches and so on.

The problem is that I found no Information in the Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List regarding Off Host Backups on DataCore.

System is a Windows Server 2008 R2 64Bit, BUExec 2010 R2, Connected to the Fabric over 2 HBAs

Thanks for any Ideas

Holger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Off host backup is part of the ADBO Option and it is only supported  by certain hardware vendors (and a couple of software solutions i.e. Symantec Storage Foundation for Windows)

If you are not using equipment from a supported vendor then you will have to consider SSO

With SSO you would make servers that own the data into media servers a (instead of remote agent servers) and then share the library between all the media servers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You have to go for SAN SSO option. Please read the admin guide or the documents on our KB. There are lot of articles which explainst how it works.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&question_box=san+sso&product...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Off host backup is part of the ADBO Option and it is only supported  by certain hardware vendors (and a couple of software solutions i.e. Symantec Storage Foundation for Windows)

If you are not using equipment from a supported vendor then you will have to consider SSO

With SSO you would make servers that own the data into media servers a (instead of remote agent servers) and then share the library between all the media servers.

HolgerMu
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I see, if I want to install BackupExec on all Servers that Use the SAN i would have to buy the SSO for the "actual BackupExecServer" and for each Server an SSO and a Media Server Pack (Base Installation).

I have had many issues with SSO, so I think I will not go with the SSO and do a LAN-Based Backup instead.

Because right now I am again dealing with another customer who uses the SSO and he had a lot of calls with Symantec Support and it is still not working.

Thanks anyway guys.