cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up NAS systems

loopy
Level 3

Hi, I have several NAS-Systems in place which I have to backup. One system is from Iomega (StorCenter ix4-200d), the others are TeraStationPro from Buffalo.

I am not able to backup shares on these NAS-systems. The remote-user has full access-rights to these shares. I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R3. When I check the Ressource-Login-Data, I always get a communication-error. NDMP is not supported on the NAS-systems and the RAWS can't be installed.

For the moment I'm backing up these shares with ArcServe, here I have no problems with SMB-shares. I want to centralize all backups with Symantec so my question is how can I solve this?

thanks!

Sven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adam76
Not applicable

I spent weeks on this issue myself, I was about to give up as well when I came across someone who had things working.  In their case they had it going at first, but it then broke, and turned out to be a DNS issue!

All along I was creating the user defined share using IP, so did not factor in DNS.  My guess is BEX is getting the name from the StorCenter, which it then couldnt resolve.  After creating an A record for my StorCenter, and validating name resolution and making sure the reverse was created...I was able to connect BEX to the StorCenter and its backing up now as I type!!  

One caveat though is that I just changed to CIFs, and removed all share security in my haste to get things working.  Ideally I want to remove CIFs, and reenable security, but for now, I just want the data backed up.  I will report back here once I have had time to put things back, and validate if security will work now that DNS is properly in place.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to add these NAS boxes in backup exec under user defined selections. Then add an account in backup exec which has permissions to the shares on these filers. Use that account to configure backups and check the result. If it still fails please post the exact error.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would also need to Disable NDMP on the NAS . Make sure the account you use have proper rights on the share.

loopy
Level 3

I added these boxes as user defined selection and I cannot disable ndmp on the nas (I just cant configure it on the webfrontend). The backup-exec account has full rights on the shares.

I attached some pictures to my post.

thanks.

teiva-boy
Level 6

None of those NAS devices support NDMP so it's no big deal.  NDMP is typically found on expenvise NAS devices from the likes of NetApp or EMC, not SOHO products.  

However I do believe the Iomega may have RALUS pre-installed or you can install it (Check Iomega documentation?  RALUS would offer better performance than CIFS backups.  However it'll cost you a client license, 

loopy
Level 3

CIFS would totally satisfy my needs. I have some of these SOHO NAS-systems e.g. for storing images, temp backup files, before we move these files finally to tape.

And as I said, I can backup these CIFS-shares with ArcServe without any problems. I just want to backup these shares with BackupExec. So this is not possible?

Thanks,

Sven

sbora
Level 6

Please post the exact error that you get in the backup job.

Also make sure that System Logon Account is set as Default logon account in backup exec. This is requirement for CIFS based backups of NAS devices.

loopy
Level 3

Its working...at least for the Terrastations from Buffalo. Your tip with the Default Logon Account was the solution. I changed the default Logon Account and the backup is running now. Thanks, sbora!

The iomega StorCenter ix4-200d still makes troubles though.

This is the error message I get from Backup Exec when the backup cancels. It says that I shall install the RAWS. Hmm..

Fehlerkategorie   : Ressourcenfehler
Fehler            : e000846b - Die Ressource konnte nicht gesichert werden, da beim Herstellen einer Verbindung zum Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent ein Fehler auftrat. 
Stellen Sie sicher, dass die korrekte Version des Remote Agent auf dem Zielcomputer installiert ist und
Zusätzliche Informationen zu diesem Fehler finden Sie unter der Verknüpfung V-79-57344-33899

Thanks,

Sven

sbora
Level 6

Is it backing up data before giving that message? Is that error or just warning? A message related to remote agent not present will always come up for NAS backups and that is normal however the data will be backed up before that. 

Also after setting the System Logon Account as default in the backup job you need to make sure that the account used by the job has permissions on the NAS box. It is possible that System Logon Account does not have permissionson on iomega StorCenter ix4-200d. In that case you need to add an account which has permissions on iomega StorCenter ix4-200d in backup exec and use that account for backing up iomega StorCenter ix4-200d.

loopy
Level 3

I'm giving up. I don't get the combination Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d and  Backup Exec to work.

Attached you find find the settings for the NAS-share. This is all I can setup there.

Thanks for the support anyway.

kind regards,

Sven

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check to see if that particular NAS is AD-integrated...this will make life a lot easier for you. We have a couple of the ix4-200r's in our environment. I have AD-integrated them (created a computer account in AD first) and they work like a charm...

loopy
Level 3

Yes, it's AD-integrated. Can you please post the firmware version you have installed on the NAS?

I have 2.1.38.22294

Thanks

Adam76
Not applicable

I spent weeks on this issue myself, I was about to give up as well when I came across someone who had things working.  In their case they had it going at first, but it then broke, and turned out to be a DNS issue!

All along I was creating the user defined share using IP, so did not factor in DNS.  My guess is BEX is getting the name from the StorCenter, which it then couldnt resolve.  After creating an A record for my StorCenter, and validating name resolution and making sure the reverse was created...I was able to connect BEX to the StorCenter and its backing up now as I type!!  

One caveat though is that I just changed to CIFs, and removed all share security in my haste to get things working.  Ideally I want to remove CIFs, and reenable security, but for now, I just want the data backed up.  I will report back here once I have had time to put things back, and validate if security will work now that DNS is properly in place.

Hope this helps!