cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up Small Business Server 2003

Dan0013
Not applicable

I have a SBS and would like to back this up to tape. I do not want to install the backup software on the SBS and have another machine with a built in tape device that would be the Backup server. My question is this: Am I able to run the SBS version of Backup Exec on a Server running 2008 Standard or am I going to have to buy standard Backup Exec 2010 and buy the remote agents for Exchange, SQL, Windows etc or can I run a SBS native backup onto the second server and then use Backup exec to copy that back up to tape?

Any advice would be appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE SBS is designed for install on a SBS platform. Would recommend to install the standard version of BE & use the appropriate agents for Exchange, Sql etc.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

The SBS version of Backup Exec has to be installed on SBS.

You would need to buy the "normal" version of Backup Exec, plus the remote agents for the options you will be using on SBS. Be warned that the cost of Backup Exec base + SQL license + Exchange license is quite a log higher than Backup Exec SBS though!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE can only backup to device attached to the media server.  In your case, since the tape drive is built into the other server.  There is no way to move it to the media, so it cannot be used.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BE SBS is designed for install on a SBS platform

To expand a little.

BackupExec SBS can ONLY be installed on SBS OS.  (FWIW, standard BackupExec  can be installed on SBS OS, but you pay extra for all the associated licenses that come with SBS, as Hywell says)