cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up 1 TB of data

dbaish
Level 4
I'm basically writing just to see if you guys have any suggestions or recommendations.  Here's my situation.  I need to backup about 1TB of data nightly.  The data is spread out across about 10 different servers.  Currently, we're using LiveState Recovery 6.0 to create .v2i files which are then stored on the NAS.  Then, those files get backed up to tape nightly directly from the NAS.  From my understanding, we could do away with LiveState Recovery and just use Backup Exec 11d with Remote Agents.  The Remote Agents would create B2D folders on the NAS.  Those B2D folders would then be backed up to tape at night.  Am I correct in my understanding of this?  Are there any flaws in that plan?

Also, I've tested out the B2D to tape theory a little bit.  Once I restore the data from tape (.BKF file and the other two files), I'm having a hard time actually getting into the .BKF file to restore the data.  What is the best way to do the whole Disk to Disk to Tape method using just Backup Exec 11d.  I also need to know how to actually restore the .BKF file that is created when using B2D.  I've tried using windows backup to restore, but the time to restore just a couple of pieces of data was through the roof, and therefore, not feasible.

Thanks for any input.
1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
The Remote Agents would create B2D folders on the NAS.  Those B2D folders would then be backed up to tape at night.  Am I correct in my understanding of this?  Are there any flaws in that plan?

Backup to disk folders are created by the user in the devices section of Backup Exec.  The remote agent does not create these.

What is the best way to do the whole Disk to Disk to Tape method using just Backup Exec 11d.

Use a duplicate job, instead of backing up the disk location.  This will allow you to restore directly from the tape and not have to restore bkf files then catalog them.