Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2010

Hopest
Level 3

Hi,

Backup Exec version is 2010.

Has anyone experienced this before where you backup an exchange server and the size of the Microsoft Information Store is bigger than the actual size of the database?

The public database is fine but just seems to happen with the information store.

For example my backup last night was 54gig's bigger then Friday night's. I checked the size to be sure that somehow that amount hadn't been added and it hadn't.

Anyone else experienced this or any ideas on what to do?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

nilesh_dhakras
Level 3
Employee

For example my backup last night was 54gig's bigger then Friday night's.

Is this daily incremental job you are running? 

Hopest
Level 3

Hi, no its not incremental.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You don't mention which version of BE 2010 you're on, but if it isn't BE 2010 R3, consider upgrading to this. It's able to use your current licenses.

If you are on R3, make sure the media server is fully patched, and that these patches have been push-installed to any remote servers.

Thanks!

Hopest
Level 3

Hi,

Latest version and fully patched. thanks

CraigV

OK...then send through your job configurations. Using AOFO? Full backup? etc.

Is this a new occurrence, or has it happened before?

Micah_H
Level 3

Does it seem as if the Exchange logs aren't getting purged?  Check the dates of the log files to make sure that they aren't dating back a couple of days.  They technically should be getting purged after a successful backup sometimes leaving a few log files behind.

CraigV

...unfortunately no reply from the OP since May, but the logs left behind would be new logs generated before the snapshot of Exchange...