cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange

Mark_Bloom
Level 4
I have modified my backup to allow me to utilize the Recovery storage group. However, after removing AOFO to allow for single mailbox restore, my backup has slowed down by more than half? Is this normal? It seems to have slowed down on the mailbox stores. Here is my backup selection:

Mailbox Stores
Shadow Copy Components (no AOFO)
MS Information Store
4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Bloom
Level 4
> I have modified my backup to allow me to utilize the
> Recovery storage group. However, after removing AOFO
> to allow for single mailbox restore, my backup has
> slowed down by more than half? Is this normal? It
> seems to have slowed down on the mailbox stores.
> Here is my backup selection:
>
> Mailbox Stores
> Shadow Copy Components (no AOFO)
> MS Information Store

Something else I noticed about the speed. When I first started the job its rate was about 750mb/min then it slowed down to about half that when it hit the mailboxes. It is about 75% through the mailboxes and is now running at a rate of 95mb/min and decreasing. What is going on with this?

Doni_Katz_2
Level 3
in my experience, brick-level mailbox backups are always MUCH slower than the rest of the backup. sometimes less than 1/10th speed.

Duane_Hartman
Not applicable
I ran into this problem and resolved it by doing the following:

1) Setup a seperate job for backing up the Exchange Server that disables the use of the AOFO totally;

2) Setup the Exchange settings to Copy - Backup Messages and check the Enable Single Instance Backup for Message Attachments

Doni_Katz_2
Level 3
I don't use AOFO at all, but Copy instead of Full is an interesting idea. I do a complete backup of Exchange each night, so doing a Copy should have no negative consequences over a Full, right? Since I never do Differentials or Incrementals of Echange, no reason to need the time/date stamp provided by a Full, and a Copy will be just as good for me. Is that a correct understanding? Thanks