cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up VMware virtual servers

MR007
Level 3

I have a question, how many servers can you add under BE 2012?

We have a lot of VMware virtual servers that I would like to add the BE 2012 so that we can back them up to tape. The question is, is there a limit to the number of servers that you can add so that we can back them up to tape?

We have Symantec Backup Exec 2012 V14.0 Rev1798

Any information would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes. so basically  there is no limit to number of servers you can add .

Its just if you run multiple server backups at the same time it will hamper your performance.

Please close the thread if you have the information that you are looking for else let us know.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have multiple VMware virtual servers why not add a host and back it up from there.

There is no known limitation you can have while adding servers to backup exec.

MR007
Level 3

We already have a physical server acting as a host. We already have 5 vmware virtual servers that we are backing up to tape but we would like to backup even more servers.

Thanks for the info.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you add individual servers the way licensing goes is 1 windows physical server you need 1 remote agent license and save for linux and mac boxes

if you add virtual servers like individual server they become physical servers for backup exec. hence some under licensing for physical server.

Consider this before going for this setup.

Edit:

IF you are backing up Virtual machines from under tha host, you can backup unlimited number of VMS hosted on that virtual host using 1 Vmware agent license

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You should be looking at BE 2012 V-Ray edition...check the links below for more information:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en...

http://www.symantec.com/backup-exec-vray-edition

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/whats-included-backup-exec-v-ray-edition

The big thing being how it is licensed on the host allowing you to backup every VM accordingly! Read the licensing guide for more information especially.

Thanks!

MR007
Level 3

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the information. We are currently backing up 4 VMs. I would like to add at least 5 more VMs. So far the backups appear to be working just fine. My concern is that if I keep on adding servers to the host I might not be able to back them up.

We just converted 3 physical servers to virtual servers. We used to backup these servers but now we can't since they became VMs. These 2 servers have BE 10d. I would like to remove BE 10d from these servers and back them up using BE 2012. The question is, do I need licenses for these servers in order for me to be able to add them to BE 2012 in order for me to be able to back them up?

Craig, thanks for the information. I will look into it.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the information. We are currently backing up 4 VMs. I would like to add at least 5 more VMs.

How? Have you added individual VMs to Backup Exec Console, or  you backup all these Vms from under a ESX /Vcentre host that you have added to BE.

So far the backups appear to be working just fine. My concern is that if I keep on adding servers to the host I might not be able to back them up.

If you are backing up all the VMs thorough the Host and not as invidual VMs there is no limit in the number of VMs you can add to backup. (you just need 1 VMware license per host)

However if you are baking them up as individual VMs, each VM will need a seperate remote agent license

We just converted 3 physical servers to virtual servers. We used to backup these servers but now we can't since they became VMs. These 2 servers have BE 10d. I would like to remove BE 10d from these servers and back them up using BE 2012. The question is, do I need licenses for these servers in order for me to be able to add them to BE 2012 in order for me to be able to back them up?

Lets say your host name is ABC and VM name is XYZ and DEF

if you are backing up XYZ and DEF as individual servers you need 1 remote agent license each

IF you are adding ABC and edit ABCs selection and backing up XYZ and DEF from there you need one VMware agent license.

MR007
Level 3

Hi Kuna,

Thanks for the info...

We are currently backing backing them up the VMs individually.

So, how do you determined how many remote agent licenses we have? Is there an option where we can take a look at?

I'm concern that we might only have 5 licenses for remote agents. I don't want to go over the number of licenses that we currently have.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yellow backup exec button >  Installation and licensing > Install options and licensing on this backup exec server > Look for Agent for windows and check the Quantity

MR007
Level 3

Hi Kumal.

I see 2 [Maintenace] Agent for Windows with Due Dates.

I also see 2 Agent for Windows with no End Date.

Am I to assumed that we only have 2 licenses? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense since I'm already backing up 4 servers.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Maintenace license is the support contract, it has due date of time till you are eligble for support and free product upgrades.

Yes you have 2 remote agent license

Practically its possible to backup more than 2 and more server with 1 agent for windows license however you won`t be complying with the licensing norms.

MR007
Level 3

Interesting... Thanks for the information Kunal.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes. so basically  there is no limit to number of servers you can add .

Its just if you run multiple server backups at the same time it will hamper your performance.

Please close the thread if you have the information that you are looking for else let us know.

MR007
Level 3

I guess that answers my question. Thank you for all your help.